Left/right channel balance on records

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

HannesFTL

Left/right channel balance on records

Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:41 pm

Was wondering about this for a while: the balance on records I have seem to be very different here and there. Most noticeable on some very loud cuts.

Does is need to be off sometimes or is it just wacky cutting?

I'm searching for a record to use as a balance reference.

Thanks!

jjgolden

Re: Left/right channel balance on records

Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:53 pm

You can use the disc in this link to check the L & R playback levels on your turntable.

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ACUATEST&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv-eytuiY6gIVkiCtBh3HPwsiEAQYAiABEgLfSvD_BwE

HannesFTL

Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:02 pm

jjgolden wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:53 pm
You can use the disc in this link to check the L & R playback levels on your turntable.
Thanks! Can get a 0 with this record for sure.

But why do some records differ so much from each other? That isn't a turntable issue.
Guess what I want to know is if there is a reason those records are cut this way.

jjgolden

Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:15 pm

My guess is that not all cutters or cutting situations are equal.
-If the session was attended there could have been distractions and L&R balance was overlooked.
-Tape machines not calibrated or aligned correctly.
-If the cutter was lazy or in a hurry or the lathe was not calibrated.
- The mix itself could be off balance as well... i.e. vocal center but instruments loaded up heavier on one Chanel..

Once you confirm your playback, then you'll have a better Idea of what's off or different on the records you play vs. the ones you cut yourself.