RIAA Filter build help

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

basplin

RIAA Filter build help

Sat May 02, 2020 10:14 am

Hi all - I'm trying to build Flo's RIAA encoder (found here: http://floka.com/lofi/riaa_enc_flo.jpg) and am a little confused about where the dual power source connects versus where the input for the audio signal is. Using J111 JFETs. I'd assume it's somewhere on the + & - obviously, but not sure where exactly. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

flozki

Re: RIAA Filter build help

Sat May 02, 2020 10:19 am

maybe
better buy a caruso pcb and populate just the encoder part....
www.vinylike.com
i can ship in a letter and you can paypal the money.

super easy. and if you are not familar with opamp dual supoly... google & youtube is your friend.

d

Sat May 02, 2020 10:48 am

basplin i grately suggest you take flo caruso psb. very good preamp with riaa. everything you need. sound very good. in my time i have overcome a lot of problems. i dont know the price but when i bought... the first version, maybe 8 years ago it still works like i charm. used with cutters with and without feedback.
_______

basplin

Sat May 02, 2020 12:12 pm

flozki wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:19 am
maybe
better buy a caruso pcb and populate just the encoder part....
www.vinylike.com
i can ship in a letter and you can paypal the money.

super easy. and if you are not familar with opamp dual supoly... google & youtube is your friend.
Thanks Flo! I just e-mailed you.
Last edited by basplin on Sat May 02, 2020 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

basplin

Sat May 02, 2020 12:14 pm

d wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 10:48 am
basplin i grately suggest you take flo caruso psb. very good preamp with riaa. everything you need. sound very good. in my time i have overcome a lot of problems. i dont know the price but when i bought... the first version, maybe 8 years ago it still works like i charm. used with cutters with and without feedback.
Thanks for the advice, it seems like these preamps/filters are the best way to go!

d

Sat May 02, 2020 12:19 pm

you are welcome. yes it goes very accurate. i thought again and really did not get any better solution than caruso preamp.
_______