updated list of DMM studios

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

TotalSonic

updated list of DMM studios

Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:51 pm

With the total loss from the fire at the Apollo Masters facility, one source for vinyl mastering that will not be directly affected by lacquer master disc supply disruptions that should manifest in a few months (apart from likely getting slammed with new orders) is Direct Metal Mastering, as DMM studios have completely different sources for the copper discs needed for this.
SO - I just did an update to my list of studios which can still make DMM's for your music - which to the best of my knowledge is now only 8 places (as Abbey Road recently converted their DMM lathe to cut lacquer at half speed, Ton Schall Raum closed, and two facilities newly added DMM in Germany) located in 3 European nations (1 in Czech Republic, 6 in Germany and 1 in The Netherlands).

https://totalsonic.net/dmm.htm

Thanks to Jiri Zita at GZ and Tom Haunstein at T.E.S.S. for informing me of some recent changes in this,

BillyBones

Re: updated list of DMM studios

Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 am

Thanks for this!

Ghoul

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:13 pm

GeorgeZ

Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:37 am

Fonotec - they seem to have a connection with the former Master Media Productions (MMP) plant now called Interpress vinyl: www.interpressvinyl.com as their locations are very close - only several km between them. This would be the original Teldec lathe as they advertise takeover of Teldec/OK Media technology on their webpage.
Pallas - they work with CU plates and lacquers cut elsewhere, maybe they have some kind of contract with some German independent studios (Pauler, Railroad Tracks...)
Jiri Zita
Premastering manager
GZ Vinyl / GZ Media Lodenice
Czech Republic

misjah

Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:39 pm

You can add me to the list. Www.24mastering.com