Stereo EQ for VR

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

PMST

Stereo EQ for VR

Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:13 am

I am looking for a stereo EQ for my VR set up. I do all IRIAA in the box running audio from a dedicated player to the amp, then cutter head, bypassing the original main unit.

Sometimes i feel it still needs a tweak and it can take a fair bit of time going back to the studio set up, editing, re-bouncing and re-importing etc, so looking for a simple tilt EQ, or 3 band EQ, generally just a low end boost/cut or high end boost/cut. Also i am based in Europe so looking for 230/240v models.

Anyone got any advice? Looking for something with a clean signal path to go between my player and the amp. Alternatively, i now theres load of good DIY build kits about, anyone used any or got any advice on something like that?

Thanks!

okpanda

Re: Stereo EQ for VR

Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:48 am

if you're itb anyway, couldn't you just use a nice waves plugin or something? maybe get a midi controller or something so you can do it with your hands.

PMST

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:59 pm

I play the WAVs from a player (Cymatic LP16) to the amp, i do the IRIAA stuff ITB, its more just a time saver as tweaking means going back to the computer, re bouncing, getting it loaded back onto the player etc. I find when playing from my computer i was getting earth issues, much more noise whereas playing from my LP16 the cuts are extremely quiet, so just trying to find something simple, but clean to between the player and the amp ideally

handcut

Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:14 pm

There's a popular DIY clone of a Neumann W492 EQ that is quick, cheap and easy to build. It is quite versatile as-is, but it is also very easy to mod. I built an M/S version for my VR and I'm very happy with it.

PMST

Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:51 am

handcut wrote:There's a popular DIY clone of a Neumann W492 EQ that is quick, cheap and easy to build. It is quite versatile as-is, but it is also very easy to mod. I built an M/S version for my VR and I'm very happy with it.
Great, thats exactly the kind of thing i'm after, M/S would be ideal too, thanks! There's so many DIY builds about so wanted to speak to someone with experience first before buying anything. Don't suppose you have a link to the kit?

PMST

Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:54 am

petermontg

Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:25 am

Hi PMST,

The Neumann EQ is a good purchase for you. You could try getting a racked unit from vintagetools.de if you have no interest in going the DIY route of course.

Gustav at PCB grinder could help you with a build also.

you could try http://squarewaveind.com/ also?

Hope it helps.

Best
Peter
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.