New: Phonocut Desktop Disc Cutter

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

safesuburbanhome

Re: New: Phonocut Desktop Disc Cutter

Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:15 am

Shamax wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:21 pm
I see Phonocut filling a very specific niche, and one that fits my situation pretty well. I run a very small label, and have put out a handful of cassettes, pressed LP's and lathe-cuts (most of them done by the folks here). I'd love to be able to source a good Presto, fit it with a Stereo cutter head and do all of my own cuts myself, but I don't have the up-front capital, the space, or the time to learn all of the specific wizardry that goes into rebuilding and maintaining a vintage lathe. With Phonocut I'll be able to make very short-run, handmade releases of demos, rehearsals, live recordings, or short EP's for my friends' projects. Being the closest thing I've seen to a turnkey solution means I can focus more on the packaging, art, and promo while still being somewhat DIY. I doubt I'd consider using Phonocut for anything over a pressing of 10 or 20 max, but that's what suits my situation perfectly.

My hope is that they'll still be able to find a good distributor to handle the blanks for customers in the US and Canada, so we don't get hit with the international shipping charges all the time. Even without that, though, it seems like it'll make a reasonably-priced handmade 10" for very short runs.
This is exactly why I've bought a Phonocut too. Small label owner, doing small limited edition runs as a hobby rather than a business. This removes all lead times for me and seriously increases speed to market. It also means no wastage at all, I will literally cut to order. I think for anything over 30 copies it's the wrong tool.

I'm UK based so also praying they get a UK distro deal on blanks as the shipping cost was silly to the UK too (considering at time of writing we're still in the EU).

Someone else mentioned printing sleeves, does anyone have any good tips for home set-ups (low runs) for that too? We want to go completely DIY if we can.

tragwag

Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:37 am

you can print your own 7" glue pocket jackets on 11x17" cardstock, find a template, cut and fold em yourself.
the first Dischord record by Teen Idles was done this way, super DIY inspiration for me personally
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Shamax

Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:49 am

safesuburbanhome wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:15 am
Someone else mentioned printing sleeves, does anyone have any good tips for home set-ups (low runs) for that too? We want to go completely DIY if we can.
Since these are 10" records, you've got a couple of different options (even more if you're setup to do your own screen printing). You could either get blank 10" sleeves and do paste-on art. You could also print double-sided on 11x17 and do flap-folders. Or you could do them in multiple pieces and make your own glue-pockets like they do (or did) for Peter King's shop. There's a vid I came across detailing the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyWVj_OP6jk

discosdecorte

Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:23 pm

tragwag wrote:
you can print your own 7" glue pocket jackets on 11x17" cardstock, find a template, cut and fold em yourself.
That's just how we are doing ours!
White/black ->
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDBqEh7nbA9/?igshid=xx6b6b1bwyit
Black/white -> https://www.instagram.com/p/CE9HQJADqPx/?igshid=1fxjskob3qxzb (top right)

We, the DIY people 😸

Best regards,
Fer
🄳🄸🅂🄲🄾🅂 🄳🄴 🄲🄾🅁🅃🄴
www.instagram.com/decortediscos

safesuburbanhome

Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:10 pm

fprado1978 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:23 pm
tragwag wrote:
That's just how we are doing ours!
White/black ->
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDBqEh7nbA9/?igshid=xx6b6b1bwyit
Black/white -> https://www.instagram.com/p/CE9HQJADqPx/?igshid=1fxjskob3qxzb (top right)

We, the DIY people 😸

Best regards,
Fer
These look great!!! Looking at the Insta photos I’m assuming the back cover doesn’t fill the whole back of the sleeve? I think this is a great idea. Will investigate further! Thanks.

discosdecorte

Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:31 am

safesuburbanhome wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:10 pm
These look great!!! Looking at the Insta photos I’m assuming the back cover doesn’t fill the whole back of the sleeve? I think this is a great idea. Will investigate further! Thanks.
Exactly! But let's continue via PM, this is very offtopic, not related with Phonocut at all (sorry Trolls!)

Best regards,
Fer
🄳🄸🅂🄲🄾🅂 🄳🄴 🄲🄾🅁🅃🄴
www.instagram.com/decortediscos

martel80

Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:51 am

I received an email from the creator yesterday saying the Phonocut will be delayed until Winter 2021.

On the bright side, they are now offering a lifelong 10% discount with a pioneer membership which I found very wise from them.

safesuburbanhome

Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:49 am

Hey, was this a personal e-mail or one to the Kickstarter people? I have a pre-order but no e-mail update? Thanks.

martel80

Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:55 am

It was an automated email. You might want to them if you didnt receive it.

martel80

Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:57 pm

Just received a one shot , one side carving by the Phonocut of some of my upcoming project sketches and I need to say that I'm very impressed by the quality of the recording.

I was not expecting anything like that to be honest. There's definitely some adjustment that need to be made to their internal ''mastering'' software as it does distort on some of the tracks I sent but they were all very uneven frequency wise and sent as one single wav file .

I really just wanted to test the limits and I'm super happy with the result.

There's definitely some quality carving that can be done with it imo.

Especially after a few test, I will understand what I can and cannot do.

safesuburbanhome

Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:06 pm

I got mine too. I had a .wav that had been previously mastered for vinyl, so choose that. It’s pretty much faultless. Impressed and can’t wait to get my hands on the machine now.

Coccolino

Somebody have already got Phonocut

Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:57 am

Hello Trollers,Has any troller pre-purchased phonocut, and has already received it?

Shamax

Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:05 am

Production units haven't shipped out yet. The last delivery estimate from Phonocut was saying they should be shipping out "Winter 2021", so later this year or early 2022.

Coccolino

Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:57 pm

Ok..Thanks Shamax !!!!!

Dusty

Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:10 pm

Is anyone really buying these? Seems way overpriced for something made mostly out of plastic.

flozki

Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:26 am

Plastic is the new vinyl!
interesting you know it’s made out of plastic!
But to stop fake news in the beginning I can confirm that all of the existing units are to 95% mainly made in nice metal .
Happy cutting

Dusty

Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:47 pm

Good to know this is not entirely made of plastic. If the record can't be heated, can the needle be heated? This can't do 12" records unfortunately. Be a lot cooler if it did.

Coccolino

Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:02 pm

I saw on the site that now they no longer have a shipping date, before they said that in winter or early 2022, I hope it does not end like other similar projects.

lecliché

Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:39 am

Yeah I'm wondering what you all think of the latest update from Phonocut. It's been about a month or so since they contacted all of us who are still onboard to inform us that their new estimated delivery date is the end of 2024. Yep, two more years wait. And the estimated new retail price is 8000 to 10000 Euros. There is still a refund option open. What to do? Take the money and run, or worth the wait?

Shamax

Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:15 am

I've went back and forth with what to do, and at this point, I'm content to let it ride and keep hopeful. I was with the earliest batch of backers, so if and when they do deliver, I'll have gotten a cutter for a steal of a price. I've already absorbed my initial cost, so I'm not really hurting for the cash. Plus, the Phonocut team is already more communicative about updates and open to refunding than other kickstarters I've backed in the past that were glorified fly-by-night scams (I'm looking at you, Growler Chill). All that combined with knowing that knowledgeable people like Flo are involved on the engineering side gives me hope.

I do, however, wish that they were more regular with the updates. I understand that there's not always something new and exciting to show, but the few videos they've released along the way talking about the problems they've overcome and demoing the prototype units were VERY welcome!