New: Phonocut Desktop Disc Cutter

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

flozki

Re: New: Phonocut Desktop Disc Cutter

Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:11 am

jonoaustin wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:56 am
Regarding blanks, warranty, etc as described below. Be careful of this - it is not legal in the US. The printer companies (HP, Canon, etc) tried this, and it was ruled not legal. Now, using 3rd party ink for printers does not invalidate warranty. https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/858824-hp-ink-cartridge-monopoly-class-action-lawsuit-settles-1-5m/

There is a similar suit involving Epson currently.

i dont see too much problems.
as material / stylus pairing is quite important we totally can totally kepp of all waranty.
all those bad coffee (nespresso) capsules worked this way for 20 years.
and maybe we just have to sell an open version for the real price....
worst case we just dont sell in US. so you guys have to import from somewhere....

and yes we all would love to hear VR track ins comparison. i mean i heard a lot.
but happy to share the test file. also some westrex users. i send you a pm with link.
we also let it cut t different places. as i said, L.A based westrex/haeco faction was afraid to cut and refused

so if there are westrex users let me know if you can cut it too.

mainly 1k tone,3150 tone, 3150:315 4:1 ratio diff tone. pink noise. 370 hz PWM and two short music samples.
all in all around 2.5 minutes. easy to cut nice to see whats going on.
please do it on 33.3 and at 10" diameter to have the same results. and a fair comparison.

EposLab

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:45 am

flozki wrote:
i dont feel bad if some of you prefer the 1930ies presto's i can understand, but we are 2019 and there seems to be people who like stuff different.
so give them the freedom to do a lathe that looks 2019 and not 1930.
..the truth is that these 30's - 50's lathes are still working (and they will keep-on) as the construction is simple & superior.
I would like to give it a try, not for the 2019's look of caurse , but as for now i have fun & enjoy my 50's master-pro lathe!
Epos Laboratory Phono Cartridge Retip & Lathe Cuts
http:\\www.eposlab.gr
info@eposlab.gr
IG EposLab (https://www.instagram.com/eposlab/?hl=en)

luke13

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:47 am

Anyone have recent news on this project? There are no news on the official website after the kickstarter campaign closes, I tried to write from the site form and they don't respond, I tried to write them on the Facebook page and they don't respond. Even the facebook page there are no new posts after November 2019. I tried to write an official email and I received an automatic reply where they write to me that they don't respond .... Are they still there?

Steve E.
Site Admin

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:55 am

I chatted with Flo briefly a couple weeks ago, and I'd have no reason to think from that conversation that the project is off. They are probably very busy.

I'm not an insider though, so don't quote me on that.

Wasn't NAMM last month? didn't they appear?

flozki

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:14 am

hello
all engines on full speed.
yes phonocut was at NAMM show
currently a couple of more prototypes and ramping up the mass production.
lots of testing, refinements. not sure if you know what it means to produce around 500 pcs...
all energy to have them produced as promissed.

also there is no additional sale right now
phonocut is busy with all the units kickstarter for the moment.

so dont expect too much news at the moment. .
if there is something to show phonocut will show.
but we protect yu from fancy rendering phantasies.
if we show it its real and existing.

f.

luke13

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:07 pm

ok thanks for response

Greg Reierson

Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:02 pm

What will this system cut on?
Greg Reierson
http://www.RareFormMastering.com
VMS70 :: SAL74B :: SX74

powerstrip

Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:09 pm

Oldskoolhousehead wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:47 am
Aussie0zborn wrote:Like they did when they burned CDs?
Not at all. I wasn’t talking about piracy. What’s on my mind is to obtain performance rights of songs for club use.
If you're worried about performance rights as a DJ, I wouldnt waste your, or anyone elses time asking for performance rights.

Literaly nobody in the DJ world does this. it's theoretically impossible for anyone involved at the label to hear you playing it out, and even if they do, that's what the tracks are designed for. DJ USE !

timinbovey

Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:20 pm

This is quite true. The use of specific parts cannot be required to keep a warranty in place in the USA, unless they are provided for free by the manufacturer. An automaker can't even specify a certain brand of oil, unless they provide it free. They also can't require an oil change at specific intervals to keep a warranty in effect unless they provide them for free at those intervals. Ford, for example, cannot require that a new *any part* installed on one of their cars be required to be a Ford made part unless they provide that part at no charge, to keep a warranty in effect. Those coffee makers have, in the USA, always had third party coffees available. Third party ink is available for most printers. So forth and so on. It cannot be a requirement of warranty. However, you CAN specify that blanks must meet certain specifications to maintain a warranty but a third party would have to be allowed to make those blanks, and you would have to let the information to do so be available. Just like a car maker or printer maker specifies the requirements for their parts, oils, cartridges, etc. The difference can be if your blanks are patented, then only you can make them, or those you license to make them, until the patent expires. In effect you ar not requiring people to buy them, but since it's your patent you're the only one who can make them. So you make your money licensing the manufacture of your patented product. I'm sure their are similar laws in other countries, although I have no experience outside of the USA. You *can* specify the specifications of suitable blanks, and using blanks that do not meet those specifications can void a warranty, but again, to do this you must allow your specifications to be published, and of course others will be able to make them. Unless you have a patent.

On an unrelated topic -- club performance rights? In the USA a club, bar, dance hall, auditorium, even a roller rink, etc would already have in place the necessary licensing from the performing rights organizations to allow the playing of music in their venues. A DJ or band would never need to obtain these rights. Assuming they are working in a properly licensed facility. Could be a completely different situation in other countries.

Tim in Bovey

Jccc

Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:24 am

i Wonder how the production of this is going
with all the covid19 Quarantine happening?

They seem to not post that much info about
updates or progression of the machine.

NickGrooves

Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:31 pm

Any grape vine updates? Kickstarter said units would be delivered around December 2020. Obviously things have changed since then in the world, but still … Anybody heard anything?

Shamax

Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:13 pm

They posted on the kickstarter page about a week ago that an update would be coming very soon, but that they were finalizing a few details. Keeping my fingers crossed!

NickGrooves

Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:02 am

flozki wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:43 pm
Well.not decided yet what happens if you hack the lathe.maybe I put in a small plugin that convert all your nice music to most ugly Austria folk music.
I sincerely love this :lol: I inherited an accordion and have after some years of tinkering graduated to playing a few gigs a year, but I only play the most pretty folk music 8)

rsimms3

Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:05 am

Update from Phonocut...

"It was only a short time after our last update that all of our lives drastically changed from a global pandemic...then changed again after the murder of George Floyd. From all of us at PHONOCUT, we wish you well in health and the best of humanity through this time. Black Lives Matter.

A few short days after our last update that we brought PHONOCUT to the dublab charity event hosted at the Onassis Foundation Los Angeles (OLA). The event’s guest of honor was Henry Rollins and as a part of the event we recorded the entire interview direct-to-PHONOCUT for the Onassis archives. No one knew that this would be the last public gathering any of us would have. Not too long after this even, we had planned public demonstrations of PHONOCUT so that more of you could touch, smell, and taste PHONOCUT in person. Of course, this wasn’t possible so we spent this time focused on our product development. We hope to show you PHONOCUT in person soon.

DELIVERY
Overall, we have made quite a lot of meaningful progress though we were not completely immune to the challenges everyone seems to be facing. To this end, we must announce that we will deliver the first kickstarter units in March of 2021 and that our final retail price will be higher than we expected. The good news for those of you that supported our kickstarter is that you all got one hell of a deal.

PRICING
The retail price of PHONOCUT will now be €2999 (plus applicable duties, taxes and shipping) however starting TODAY we are offering PHONOCUT at several pre-order prices:

€1799 through Friday, July 10th, 2020 17:00*
€1899 through Friday, July 31st, 2020 17:00*
€1999 through Friday, August 28th, 2020 17:00*
*Austrian Time.
...after which our pre-order price is €2499 through our delivery in March 2021 and then goes up to the full price of €2999.

THE STYLUS
One of the most asked questions... thank you for waiting patiently as we figure out how to approach this. As many of you have pointed out, the act of replacing a stylus and calibrating a cutter head is quite complicated however we are very happy to say that we have established our easy stylus replacement service for only €149 (plus applicable shipping, taxes and duties).

NEW PROTOTYPE
We spent the quarantine building our next prototype. The largest improvements are with motor control which have greatly minimized wow in the cuts. Check out the recordings of cuts below.

More to come."

emidisc

Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:43 pm

😳😳 thanks for the update ...but can’t see the samples?

rsimms3

Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:53 pm

Yeah, quick copy/paste from the email this morning, check their website.

Shamax

Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:57 pm

emidisc wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:43 pm
😳😳 thanks for the update ...but can’t see the samples?
The new samples are up on the Phonocut youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88yZh0CtwyA

NickGrooves

Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:50 pm

So, what do we think? I think it sounds pretty good. I liked hearing the Neumann sample in there and I appreciate that they included the v.1.0 prototype as well.

SantaKilmagik

Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:08 pm

Definitely a step up from the v1. It's a little harsh in comparison to the other cutters- but much clearer than v1.

SingleCut

Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:26 pm

It is July and what they are doing?

We spent the quarantine building our next prototype.

I smell another Kickstarter/preorder desaster.
They may good engineers but do not have any clue to run a consumer-product business.