What materials have you cut with an Astatic X26?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

timefraud

What materials have you cut with an Astatic X26?

Sat May 25, 2019 9:51 pm

Hi lathe trolls, what materials have people successfully cut with the Astatic x-26? Plates? Lexan polycarbonate sheets, Plastics? Etc

I’ve read that it may not be heavy enough for polycarbonate plastics. I’m troubleshooting an airline cutter rn and am not sure what material I should be cutting into.

I’d be happy to add compile a list of results for the wiki so no one ever asks again 8)

timefraud

Re: What materials have you cut with an Astatic X26?

Sat May 25, 2019 10:19 pm

also if folks know what type of needle they used with the cuts that'd be helpful

foodj madrigal

Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:15 pm

I BARELY MADE IT THROUGH WITH A CD-R. I HAVE ALSO TRIED WITH PLASTIC PLASTIC PLATES BUT THIS WAS NOT DEEP enough :cry:

socialroots

Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:50 pm

timefraud wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:51 pm
Hi lathe trolls, what materials have people successfully cut with the Astatic x-26? Plates? Lexan polycarbonate sheets, Plastics? Etc

I’ve read that it may not be heavy enough for polycarbonate plastics. I’m troubleshooting an airline cutter rn and am not sure what material I should be cutting into.

I’d be happy to add compile a list of results for the wiki so no one ever asks again 8)
Those were made to cut lacquer with sapphire or steel styli, cut not emboss. Ive seen some vids on youtube of some picnic plated being cut with sapphire ,seemed to be ok in a lofi mono way. Just experiment but dont expect it to be something that it isnt,levels probably isnt gonna be as loud as you would like, and the sound will be like something from the 30,s or 40,s , which could be cool with music that fits that kinda vibe.
Just do alot of digging and reading in the search section about recordios.everything u could wanna know is already there somewhere.
Maximum respect
patrick

gianky777

Thu May 20, 2021 1:57 am

please my astatic x 26 is was rebuild from West..,
i can cutting pvc ,plexiglass ,policarbonate ?
There is a shop online for lacquer specific astatic x26?

Thanks

tragwag

Thu May 20, 2021 10:38 am

hey there, more helpful than the type of head your using is:
A - the stylus you have already
B - the lathe you have

the lathe determines whether you can CUT (sapphire/ruby on lacquer, or diamond on plastic)
or EMBOSS (sapphire/ruby on plastic)
based on the angles your lathe can achieve

none of the suitcase cutters will be able to emboss as they are, modifications might be made but they're experimental

similarly, putting a diamond on a suitcase cutter is a bit overkill, but it's the only way to cut plastic reliably

I'm not saying you can't experiment and try things out, but if you want reliable results then sapphire/ruby on lacquer or diamond on plastic are the way to go
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com