MyShank still in business ?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

piaptk

Re: MyShank still in business ?

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:05 am

I’m going to give your answer, totally sincerely and gently.

Both the customers and providers in this hobby have a higher than normal level of “quirky personalities”. And sometimes, when the customer is perceived to be difficult, the provider may decide they are an “unprofitable customer” (see definition below) and can choose to “refuse service to anyone”. But this can be problematic in a hobby where there are basically four people providing parts/service/repair, most of whom are considered by various people to have “quirky personalities” and who all have their own lane of products that they dominate and don’t overlap, making them your only choice for that product/service.

I, personally, while also being a “quirky personality”, seem to have WAY more patience than most of the others, and even I have had to block a couple customers with “quirky personalities”.

It’s not so much an “elite boys club” as a “we don’t need your business if you are a difficult customer club”. In this field “The customer is always right” has been replaced by “if the customer is a pain in the butt, I’m not going to deal with the customer” for many providers. And, while many people get annoyed at that, it’s the sellers prerogative to deal with who they want to.

My advice would be to gently and calmly write Myshank an email, apologize if you came off as curt or rude, and ask if you may please place an order. I think it will be better received than getting defensive and complaining that you aren’t getting responses.

Remember that this isn’t Taco Bell who you are dealing with. There isn’t some corporate PR office that wants your business at any cost.

Most of these people don’t really care either way, because really, they aren’t making much money on this stuff to begin with, and they would rather not deal with difficult customers.

****Unprofitable Customer: Quite simply, unprofitable customers consume more resources than they pay for. They divert attention from a company's profitable customers, and they create tension between the sales team, who is looking to generate revenue, and management, who is keeping an eye on profitability.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

piaptk

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:54 am

For what it’s worth, I’m not trying to get in an argument with anyone about any of this, because I have no skin in the game.

Whether anybody feels like this is the right or wrong way to do business is of no consequence to me (I don’t personally do business this way, I WILL probably put up with an unprofitable customer because I NEED the money and I’m used to it), and it’s of no real consequence to the people who DO operate this way because they “give no f@&k$” as the kids say these days.

So, whether you agree with it or not, as someone who has been doing this and been deeply involved in the scene for over a decade, you can rest confident in the fact that I know what I’m talking about and this IS the reality of the hobby.

This information should be understood by anybody entering the hobby so that they do not accidentally “step in it” as the old folks say these days, when dealing with suppliers by being too pushy, demanding or entitled to mega-corporate service from a one person operation.

Much Love, Mike
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

socialroots

Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:43 am

Well put Mr.Dixon! Reality check,if people keep making it such a pain in the ass for myshank to do his thing his way and decides to close shop,i would be fucked for some diamonds and great blanks!
Maximum respect,
Patrick

socialroots

Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:49 am

Well,i wouldnt be completly fucked,cuz i would hopefully still have PIAPTK to score some sapphires to emboss pc!
Goin down the Apollo lacquer route just isnt gonna work out for my needs.
Maximum respect,
Patrick

piaptk

Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:09 am

socialroots wrote:Well put Mr.Dixon! Reality check,if people keep making it such a pain in the ass for myshank to do his thing his way and decides to close shop,i would be fucked for some diamonds and great blanks!
Maximum respect,
Patrick
And if you let Myshank do his thing his way, you WILL get your supplies. He is a man who replies to emails and ships what’s promised and paid for, even if it isn’t quite as quick as some people would prefer in the age of Amazon.

We should all be grateful that these folks provide the service at all. They are doing it out of their own interest in the hobby, not out of a real profit motive, because the amount of work and time and monetary investment that goes into is NOT a high grossing business plan. Believe me.

(Don’t let Myshanks 3 yachts fool you :-)
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

soeffingodly

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:24 pm

Amen, Mike.

What is the old saying? "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar."

I have done business with MyShank via avenues other than the website and everything always ships and arrives as promised. Maybe my account was deactivated because I didn't use it, but I'm sure when I am in need an email asking for help would do just fine to get me back in the game.

...Unless he's jet-setting around the globe on yacht number five. haha

-S
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

piaptk

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:53 pm

It’s yacht-setting, Scott. Not jet-setting.
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

soeffingodly

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:31 am

piaptk wrote:It’s yacht-setting, Scott. Not jet-setting.
Fair enough. Maybe a new Learjet is on the horizon since he's raking in mountains of $$$. :lol:
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

The Shank

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:43 am

Soon in Forbes!

I have to move, just have a lunch between Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates.
http://www.myshank.com

* Diamond cutting stylus officials/prototypes
* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

Flexinoodle

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:45 am

Thanks piaptik
I have no idea how not starting an email with "Hello" and using capitals to denote urgency actually counts as an unproffitable customer, the whole situation is completely insane, I just want a stylus and some blanks, I have no interest in taking up their time, in fact, if they had an actual website where you could order, I would have just ordered and that would have been that, the fact that any new customers HAVE to contact my shank, but dealing with custimers is unproffitable is an obvious paradox to anybody with two brain cells.
But as you say, they have any customer over a barrel and can treat you anyway they see fit, and as stated by others "Hey they can do what they want to me, I need their stuff, so I am going to he an a hole in the forum and troll your thread"

Thank you for actusl info though piaptik ;)

Flexinoodle

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:54 am

Oh wow, somebody just told me that "the shank" is actually "my shank" ?
He would rather troll this post than just reply to an email and sell a product, what the hell is going on here ?
This is actually shocking!

Radardoug

Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:18 pm

He's playing wit you hehe!

MEGAMIKE

Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:13 pm

The inflatable boat will sink and the Girls will find the next pimp. Sorry pimple.

The Shank

Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:57 am

MEGAMIKE wrote:The inflatable boat will sink and the Girls will find the next pimp. Sorry pimple.
MEGAMIKE wrote:Don't buy anything from my shank if you are still down with souri . The diamonds and blanks are no better just way more expensive ..
Your 2 last comment on that forum over the 3 past month. We can only appreciate the participation (and your personal happiness in your comments)

* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

MEGAMIKE

Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:08 am

Thanks ...here are 2 more

The foundation of your business is from where?

And

Would you sell to me if I opened an account?

The Shank

Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:43 am

MEGAMIKE wrote:Thanks ...here are 2 more

The foundation of your business is from where?
You're welcome

I'm not sure to understand the meaning of your question...
MEGAMIKE wrote:Would you sell to me if I opened an account?
MEGAMIKE wrote:Don't buy anything from my shank if you are still down with souri . The diamonds and blanks are no better just way more expensive ..
Because you wouldn't buy...apparently.

* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

MEGAMIKE

Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:13 am

My apologies iam sorry for sticking my big nose in where it’s non of my business...
However Its time to be honest ..life is too short and having 2 cancer scares well the first one they told me it’ was cancer but then no sorry , I really don’t care anymore... as you all know iam very loyal to the VR crew ,no diamond or blanks get shared to anyone nothing . So loyal to the point where I still buy lubricant from them even when I know how to make it.however I still help anybody that wants to get involved, like selling full prestos or just helping people over the net to find blanks and diamonds. And I send them all to you Steven, I don’t know you but that’s what I do . Some people and many on here have tried to get Dimonds from me ( especially 12 years ago ) but I always say no,as I can only have 3 at a time from souri and that’s one old for punk and a new for techno/ classical and a brand new for spare.
A few years ago I met James whom you know. Great guy even though when we first meet I spilt beer all over his studio)sorry James).. I must stress his work is a secret and I have no knowledge of what he does but his lathe is awesome amazing and for it to be made in my own city is even better.. then Sardi come along (oz DNB producer from mid 90s , great guy who I’ve known for years in the dj scene , he buys James only cutter )well I’ve only seen one).. like everyone else he gets stock from you not me.
But then you cut him off as James “ might” have Dimond s or the assumption?? That he is making it...
Please support him again as I feel very responsible and guilty that I have helped him get into cutting introducing him to James and ofcouse then going to get stock from you as I could not.