LPI to R/mm Conversion Chart?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Aussie0zborn

LPI to R/mm Conversion Chart?

Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:27 am

Does anybody have an LPI to R/mm Conversion Chart?
Seems to be the one thing missing from this resource.

dubcutter89

Re: LPI to R/mm Conversion Chart?

Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:38 am

hmm, not so super tricky…

1 Inch = 25,4mm

so

LPI = 25,4 times R/mm
rough example:

100LPI = 4 R/mm
200LPI = 8 R/mm
500LPI = 20 R/mm

I take no responsibility for any exploding trains, plains, space ships and recording lathes because of imperial vs metric conversion errors…
If you're affraid using your lathe because of that I'm happy to take it for you and give it a safe Operation environment.

Lukas
Wanted: ANYTHING ORTOFON related to cutting...thx

Aussie0zborn

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:16 am

Brilliant.

Gridlock

Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:06 am

JUST SO YOU KNOW.

The metric system is a conspiracy by the illuminati to make arithmetic seem managable/palatable//NECESSARY for every world citizen/slave; whereas in the complex unpredictable world we live in is NOT prone to just divide things by 10 for everybody to enjoy. Mathematics, in reality should be handled by wizards, blackjack dealers and mastering engineers. With all due respect, the metric system has no place or purpose in the field of analog audio recording, ESPECIALLY in the field of groove dynamics. This ABSOLUTE fact can be confirmed by the simple fact that, in a previous post on this thread, a member by the handle dubcutter89 made reference to a certain number of lines per inch, 500 to be exact, which would place 20 lines of presumably modulated groove in the area of 1 "millimeter" of the radius of the recorded disc. A real wizard, blackjack dealer or mastering engineer would (on a good day) be able to tell you at least 5 points of contention as to why this conversion is a complete and utter disconnect from the ACTUAL, PHYSICAL "world", and is garbage information used to boost an international oligarchy of CLEARANCE SALES. Thank you
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

dubcutter89

Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:32 am

D'accord!

And since I'm a very untalented wizzard, black jack dealer and even worse mastering engineer I highly recommend everybody count the groove pitch in Angstrom rather than what I suggested previously. The advantage is that there is no math involved - You only have to count single atoms with your (and your friends) fingers!

A common reference tone on an LP* would count approx. quarter million Angstrom.
Piece of cake!

Cheers
Lukas

*(1kHz/0dB@5cm/s sine wave peak to peak amplitude cut on a wax cake revolving at 33+1/3 rpm)
Wanted: ANYTHING ORTOFON related to cutting...thx