Right channel dropout Vinyl recorder

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

David34

Right channel dropout Vinyl recorder

Sat May 19, 2018 5:12 am

Hello Trolls..

Was cutting some Blues to 7” this afternoon and noticed the right channel keeps dropping out quite substantially and quite audible. Using Vinyl recorder. Don’t want to hassle Souri as I’m sure this is easily resolved. I bought machine new in 2013.

Things I have tried to find problem myself: (with no luck)

Changed pickup stylus - shure and ortofon
Changed cutting diamond, cleaned
Checked all cabling tight (RCA) etc.
Checked back of That shitty little mixer
Wires going into cutter head, removed sockets and plugged back in tight.
Cut at 33 and 45rpm.
Changed my audio source from Ableton Live to QuickTime player.

The only thing I’m yet to do is cut a test tone, and see if it drops out which I imagine it still will ..

Short of replacing each RCA one by one, is there any suggestions to why it would intermittently drop the right channel ?? (not completely but considerably)

Any help will be greatly appreciated- even just some of your awesome suggestions.

I do struggle lining up the new diamond straight, even with microscope. Any ideas here,? Any tools? I have Souris ones - he didn’t spend much time with me on teaching me to line it up - could this be the problem???

I’d love to get rid of that mixer that Souri supplied. Any ideas? I have a FireWire soundcard.

Cheers trolls!!

handcut

Re: Right channel dropout Vinyl recorder

Sat May 19, 2018 5:28 am

Check the in-line fuse holder

David34

Sat May 19, 2018 5:40 pm

If it were a fuse, wouldn’t the whole channel not play?

Thanks for the input, I’ll check today and report back..

David34

Sat May 19, 2018 7:19 pm

It’s not the fuse!

iamtasha

Mon May 28, 2018 3:51 am

Have you checked the blue resistor (at least that's what I think it is) knob on the audio in to the back of the mixer?

I found that depending on how far the resistor is turned can effect how panned to one side the tracks were. If it's loose or being knocked that may explain it.

If you get a new mixer you can lose it and streamline the whole set up.

Good luck!

Dubcutz

Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:36 pm

Check the cutterhead wiring for continuity there could possibly be a loose wire on the right channel / check the male 3pin din connector / check the (R) female din socket

Swap the speaker out connectors on the amp and if the left channel on the cutterhead intermittently drops out you know it’s the amp that may be causing the issue

Right channel speaker cable any kinks or damage ? Check with a meter

Try removing all of the rack units and only have the i/RIAA box connected in the audio chain and see if the issue still remains

Check your rca cabling with a multimeter for continuity.

There are so many things you can try.

Regards
Theo

Ciuens

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:53 pm

The VR cutterhead are made with small speakers, if the cutterhead is faulty, it is likely that the speaker is damaged, perhaps the small wire connecting the coils is in poor contact, or the coils are saying goodbye.
You can do a test by connecting a multimeter directly to the small speaker and pushing the pushrod gently with your finger, if the multimeter fails the test, your cutting head will need repairs.

Cheers

Ciuens Silva

David34

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:11 pm

So I resolved this issue. I had a Behringer hum destroyer on the setup and removed and now I have stereo!

Thanks for all your help - hopefully someone else can use this info too!