Presto 87 B

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Mr.Toast

Presto 87 B

Wed May 02, 2018 12:34 pm

Hi, new to the site. Just bought a really nice condition Presto 87 B (I think). My research into it has landed me here. My first thought for the amp was to mod it (if needed) to be used as a funky retro guitar amp, but maybe it is more valuable to you lathe trolls?

What would a fair price be for one of these?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mr.Toast

Re: Presto 87 B

Fri May 04, 2018 6:51 am

Update...this thing sounds GREAT as a guitar amp, not sure I want to know what it might be worth anymore. I plugged it into a Variac and brought it up slowly, plugged my guitar into the input labeled Radio, and PRESTO! Creamy tube tone for days.

Gridlock

Sat May 05, 2018 5:33 pm

These things do make awesome guitar amps. Be careful it's so old those old caps get crappy after a long time and sometimes the transformer will just fry too. All easily serviceable. Also sounds good on a cut disc. It would probably be worth more to someone here though
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

tragwag

Fri May 11, 2018 2:48 pm

very cool! does yours have a pair of 2A3's as well?
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Mr.Toast

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:40 am

Tragwag,

I am a complete noob in the lathe world, so forgive me. I assume you are asking if my Presto amp has the associated turntables, and unfortunately it does not. Found it alone, and unloved under a table at a local guitar show. I didn't know what it was, but I knew it was cool. I traded a Rubbermaid storage box full of old untested radio tubes, and $100 for it.

tragwag

Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:00 pm

ah gotcha! Yeah I meant the output tubes in the amp itself, mine came with 2A3 tubes which are relatively very expensive!!
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com