A couple of VMS 70 Questions

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

I.S.D

A couple of VMS 70 Questions

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:28 am

Hi everyone!

I've been running a VMS 70 for a couple years now, it came with a few extra belts for the pitch computer. But now I need some new ones, both the long and short rubber drive belt in the pitch drive unit, where would I find these? Any leads would be great.

Also, a few months ago the auto lift mechanism for the cutter head (when it reaches the end of the record) has stopped working automatically, I now just release the switch manually... But I'd like to get this feature operational again. I checked the micro switch, it appears to be working but i cant seem to find a lot of information about this in the manual... Any body got experience with this issue?

gold

Re: A couple of VMS 70 Questions

Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:31 pm

Dietrich Schoenmann had some belts made up. He may still have some. He's a member here.

Check drawings AM66-930 and VMS66-931. Between those two drawings you should be able to chase the Cutterhead Lift around.

concretecowboy71

Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:02 pm

Did you get your head lift issue work out?

I have had two issues in the past.
1)A fuse was blown in the power supply section (this would affect other aspects of your lathe)
2)The leaf spring switch contact point inside the suspension box was corroded. My suspension does not have micro switches, but layered "leaves" that look like brass with a contact point at the end. a piece of paper soaked in contact cleaner cleaned off the corrosion and brought that function back online.

Also, are you hearing the flywheel brake engage when the lathe reaches the lock out position?
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

Aussie0zborn

Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:44 am

For the record, the SA74 suspension box uses an SPDT-NO/NC microswitch type 1SX1-T to control auto head lift. Located in absolute top right corner after removing the side cover.

jjgolden

Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:22 pm

There's a capacitor in the programmers that is associated with the time delay on the head lift.
It may be that capacitor that needs replaced.
Does the head lift with a different programmer? (45 or 33)

Aussie0zborn

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:19 pm

Good point, JJ. In my case it was as ConcreteCowboy described it - blown fuse on power supply card which took out other lathe functions (eg: no power to VA66) but power to microscope and stylus heating still active. Tried different programmers but still no head lift or brake. The microswitch in the SA74 suspension box was at fault. Auto head lift and brake now working.

jjgolden

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:32 pm

Hey AussieOzborn,
Thanks for the follow up!
I'm glad you got it sorted!