using pressed blanks with T560?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

asqus

using pressed blanks with T560?

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:40 pm

Hi all,

I see this site is offering some really nice looking coloured and splatter-type blanks: https://www.diamond-cutting-stylus.com/12-blank-vinyl-record-shop/

I'd love to try cut on these with my T560 but I'm unsure of whether or not that's a good idea. Are pressed blanks suitable for this? Are they soft enough? Should I rather stick with Souri and MyShank blanks?

Thanks!

The Shank

Re: using pressed blanks with T560?

Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:05 pm

You'll break your stylus after few cuts... just mho/experience.
http://www.myshank.com

* Diamond cutting stylus officials/prototypes
* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

asqus

Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:18 am

Cool, thanks for the warning - I almost ordered some!

Bubble Tea Records

Wed May 17, 2017 4:43 pm

Mr. Shank, could you please give some more insight to why that is? We're looking at buying a T560 and I'm trying to find somewhere to where we could get multi colour blanks. Some info to bear in mind in the search would be really useful. I'm a newbie and eager to learn :)

Asqus, have you found anywhere you could pick up some different colours?

Thanks!

TheCrates

Wed May 17, 2017 5:27 pm

I recommend to use the search option on the top right corner and read a lot first, most questions allready answered. im very sure i have seen one or two threads about cutting blank pressed vinyl records.... years old...myshank and a russian troll shared their experience...

Be sure, because if you dont have any serious basics, its probably better to be careful buying such a machine. Parts, service and help is very limited AND very expensive.

As far as i know there are only clear and black blanks existing, correct me when im wrong.

tragwag

Mon May 22, 2017 10:29 am

I've been looking at sourcing blanks since 2012, the end of the line is:
most people don't cut on pressed blanks, I think it's because:
pressed blanks are harder than other plastics, and you have to press flat blanks

As for more commonly lathe cut-able plastics:

Shank sells clear, black and white colors of their blanks.

local plastics companies will sell you any range of plastic, poly carbonate, PET, acrylic and so on, it's very rare for them to stock anything other than clear.

if you were at the level to purchase TONNAGE - you would then have sway with the actual manufacturers of these plastics,
and in that case you could get some colored sheeting.

You have to remember that the main applications of these plastics are for windows, windshields, greenhouses, display units, packaging, etc.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com