Finger Snaps on Test Pressing Questions

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

13yo

Finger Snaps on Test Pressing Questions

Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:22 pm

band 1 on a 12 inch 33 test pressing, a sort of old timey, honky tonk real piano, acoustic guitar song, instrumental break with finger snaps on the 2 and 4,

the finger snaps sound weird kind of clickey, not very natural, not really distorted, I'm kind of on the edge of wanting to remaster, re-plate, re-press, checking
against the mastered 2496 and unmastered files, sounds pretty similar, maybe a little more exaggerated now

I'd probably put a big ol de-esser set at 2-4 k on this section to really slow that down, but we'd miss the release date for sure, and then there's the cost...

the question is, are these sort of mid range transient tracking issues a kind of "feature" of vinyl that I should be paying closer attention to?

we're playing back with a Shure V15-4, with HE needle, the other question is, would a conical/spherical roll over these types of sections with less trouble?

thanks

Mark Chalecki

gold

Re: Finger Snaps on Test Pressing Questions

Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:41 pm

It's hard to say without looking at it. The problem that you are hearing could be a symptom rather than the cause. For instance a lot of low end or a snappy bass drum could be the real culprit. In a case like that you could slice and dice the snaps as much as you want and it won't fix the problem.

Gridlock

Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:58 am

Quit snapping your fingers.
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

13yo

Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:19 pm

oh its the artist who is snapping their fingers, I just master it, now if I could produce...

thanks for your replies G's, Paul, I may try to grab a snip and send you, a bit busy today though, I've got to set up my playback better so I can make a ref recording easier
than dragging cables across the floor unplugging and reconnecting the ADC yada yada

anybody care to weigh in on whether a conical stylus would roll over these transients any smoother, maybe worse?

mark

gold

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:29 pm

13yo wrote:o

anybody care to weigh in on whether a conical stylus would roll over these transients any smoother, maybe worse?
At the outside diameter the answer is more likely no to making it smoother. At the inner diameter the answer is more likely yes.