R.I.A.A. Disc Standards

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

grooveguy

R.I.A.A. Disc Standards

Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:18 pm

I came across some good information relating mostly to the dimensional specifications for disc phonograph records. For those of us cutting dubs for jukeboxes and other automatic record changers, it's important to have the lead-in, lead-out and the lock grooves in the right places. I've reduced the data to a PDF, which includes critical dimensions and some drawings as well, and invite you guys to download this for your own use. I have no idea what the copyright situation is on this... just passing it along.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Soulbear

Re: R.I.A.A. Disc Standards

Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:02 pm

Hi grooveguy,
Sterling effort to post this information. I mentioned and made reference to it in my own "Lazarus Lathe" Strand some time ago, whence I first came across it posted here :- http://www.aardvarkmastering.com/riaa.htm

I wouldn't fret about the Copyright Stuff as it's already in the public domain and as can be seen, already Published elsewhere, though it would be a mighty good idea for the Moderators to "Sticky" this Great Information, down below in the Reference Section of the Forum too.
Regards
:wink: :P :D Soulbear