VinylRecorder Picture Discs Question

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Vice Fiori

Re: VinylRecorder Picture Discs Question

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:06 pm

ilium wrote:
Vice Fiori wrote:2-putting the opto adhesive on print side of paper
Is this a product that can be bought online? I did some searches for optical adhesive and didn't really come up with anything, thanks

Vice Fiori wrote:i said it because, dont want to say bad about that guys, but what you said about their work and finish product, i dont see excuses to not do a better job, even by hand you know? glue parts? ok, but, plants? dusts? bad shape papers? i dont think so, as you said, something like slopy and fast work, i take hours by hand and tipe by laminator, but noone want a nasty job
Yeah at first they were refusing to fix or give refund because of it being "handmade". Anyway that experience is what lead me to buy a lathe and do it myself.. lol!
really? This is no excuse, it's not like get a handmade blank vinyl with not polish edges that you almost aways neet do to yourself, but it's the same if you buy a record cuted with laser cut edges no polish (rusted), or a cut record skipping, or a stylus with wrong measure shank and no polish facets made wrong by manufactor. It's my point of view, just saying.
I thing about buy tapes from this place but, hearing this i dont think so...
do you still have one or picture? i dont want to blamek or get critic but, what a mess, think people here need to know about to not got the same mistake

tragwag

Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:40 pm

doesn't somebody on here do the lathe cutting for duplication.ca?
a long time ago I did one job for dup.ca but it looks like they went with a CAN lathe cut business instead.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Vice Fiori

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:16 pm

About the optical adhesive, i dont know where to buy because i find this in brazil, kind of hard to find but not so much

ilium

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:26 am

tragwag wrote:doesn't somebody on here do the lathe cutting for duplication.ca?
a long time ago I did one job for dup.ca but it looks like they went with a CAN lathe cut business instead.
CAN? As far as I know they \are using a presto 8D-G with an upgraded Grampian feedback head and Gotham amp for cutting in house.

ilium

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:28 am

Vice Fiori wrote:About the optical adhesive, i dont know where to buy because i find this in brazil, kind of hard to find but not so much
Is the adhesive silicone based? Is it a spray?

jonoaustin

Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:00 pm

IMG_6347.jpg
[/attachment]
IMG_6344.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jon Niess
Austin Signal
https://www.austinsignal.com/retro

iamtasha

Re: Picture Discs Question

Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:00 am

SUNBEARS wrote:Hey brother! I had great success making picture discs.

Here is one that I made for my band a couple years ago.
https://youtu.be/SWQ5TsuraF4

However, I did a few things differently. I don't use Souri's stock. I have a print guy here in Jacksonville that does all my printing for labels, jackets, etc, and he printed up my artwork for the picture discs and die cut them into circles for me. Everything was super sharp and super centered.

I also bought a different laminator. I used this, set to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.

https://www.amazon.com/Apache-AL18P-18-Professional-Laminator/dp/B0012UKI72/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485919272&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Apache+AL13P+Professional

1. Print your art and die cut and trim to size of your picture disc blanks. Mine are printed on starboard tack stock.

2. Peel off the protective layer of the sticky side of your picture disc blank.

3. Place your printed art face up on a turn table then place your picture disc blank sticky side down.

4. Run blank through laminator set at 300 degrees. Do this for every piece.

Now you are ready to cut!

5. Remove protective layer from cutting side and cut your side A or B.

6. Once you have cut a blank for each side of the picture disc, you can then remove the protect layers on the sticky part of the Starboard Tack.

7. Place one blank sticky side up on a turntable and the other side on top, stick side down.

Should be kick-ass now!

Have fun!

Cheers,
J

First of all.....amazing step by step! Thanks!

Not sure if anyone still gets updates from this thread but what is starboard tack paper?

I’m struggling to find an equal replacement for it Im in the UK!

Thanks

JHL

Re: Picture Discs Question

Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:49 am

iamtasha wrote:
SUNBEARS wrote:Hey brother! I had great success making picture discs.

Here is one that I made for my band a couple years ago.
https://youtu.be/SWQ5TsuraF4

However, I did a few things differently. I don't use Souri's stock. I have a print guy here in Jacksonville that does all my printing for labels, jackets, etc, and he printed up my artwork for the picture discs and die cut them into circles for me. Everything was super sharp and super centered.

I also bought a different laminator. I used this, set to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.

https://www.amazon.com/Apache-AL18P-18-Professional-Laminator/dp/B0012UKI72/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485919272&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Apache+AL13P+Professional

1. Print your art and die cut and trim to size of your picture disc blanks. Mine are printed on starboard tack stock.

2. Peel off the protective layer of the sticky side of your picture disc blank.

3. Place your printed art face up on a turn table then place your picture disc blank sticky side down.

4. Run blank through laminator set at 300 degrees. Do this for every piece.

Now you are ready to cut!

5. Remove protective layer from cutting side and cut your side A or B.

6. Once you have cut a blank for each side of the picture disc, you can then remove the protect layers on the sticky part of the Starboard Tack.

7. Place one blank sticky side up on a turntable and the other side on top, stick side down.

Should be kick-ass now!

Have fun!

Cheers,
J

First of all.....amazing step by step! Thanks!

Not sure if anyone still gets updates from this thread but what is starboard tack paper?

I’m struggling to find an equal replacement for it Im in the UK!

Thanks

maybe is the paper use for Double-adhesive labels? you can print on both side,and both side can be sticky
下载.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tragwag

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:11 am

ilium wrote:
tragwag wrote:doesn't somebody on here do the lathe cutting for duplication.ca?
CAN? As far as I know they \are using a presto 8D-G with an upgraded Grampian feedback head and Gotham amp for cutting in house.
Oh very cool! I didn't know that. I mean Canada when I said CAN, shoulda been specific!
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Ben

Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:02 am

Hey Jonoaustin,

Wow, your picture discs are superb... very impressive.
Would you love to share a little bit of your procedure and material, to help us out?

Cheers
Ben