Cleaning a scully 501 lathe

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

platesrecords

Cleaning a scully 501 lathe

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:52 am

Hi guys - apologies if this is a repost but I am looking for some tips of deconstructing my modified scully 501 lathe and giving it a clean.

Doesn't look like it has had a clean and an oil for many years from the previous owner and whilst i don't think it is causing me issues, it is something i want to do.

Does anyone have any immediate do's/don'ts outside of the obvious? i should state i am a complete newbie!
----------------

Is there a safe way of removing dust from the undercarriage? e.g. would a very gentle hand vacuum or something be crazy?

What materials would you use for cleaning the lathe sledge itself [inside and outside] and the internal parts of the feed screw etc underneath?

Any particular parts that specifically require oil/regular cleaning?

Any particular types of cloths/solutions that aren't harmful would be useful too and anything that is worth considering!

Thanks so much - pics upon request...

Nick