help with plastic cut out

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

kafkablues

help with plastic cut out

Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:51 pm

Hi folks,
Still new to cutting ect. So far I'm more than pleased with my sounds. Only problem I'm having more often than not is with the needle getting clogged up. I am using a grampian head with myshank plastic. I have no suction. All I have is a little brush. Any tips to prevent this would be greatly appreciated.

Spiderxdeath

Re: help with plastic cut out

Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:30 am

Hey mate- I'm pretty new to this too.
But- you need a vaccum. I had a great dust buster- but will run outta charge after a couple. Now I just hold the Dyson to the lathe- works a treat. Noisey- but for now is cool. There are a few threads on here about vaccums - have a search.

sameal

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:41 pm

I'm also building a vac. On the suggestion of a very knowledgable lathe person i picked up an ametek lamb and have some developemental things in place. It definitely has enough power to do what id like it to, i just need to limit the losses to the platter and head.

There pretty inexpensive and a good way to go i think. A little developement is needed, but that is the lathe situation anyway. And it isn't very hard to remove the motor from the lathe assembly.

Id consider a vaccume option.

kafkablues

Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:29 pm

Thanks folks. Been reading quite a few other post. I seem to have a few basic starting points that I have missed. Ultimately I would like to get a vacuum in operation.

tapesandtubes

Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:25 pm

Yeah, I've had trouble with managing the chip on my Presto lathes. I've tried a vacuum (which is great, but loud). A trick that I use when I'm using a brush is to place a folded piece of an index card between your cutting head and mounting bracket. It will "throw" the chip towards the spindle and wrap around it as you cut. I learned about it in an old disc recording book. I'll try and scan those pages tonight, it's worth trying out.
Presto K8 | 6N

kafkablues

Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:14 pm

Sounds like a great idea. It would be greatly appreciated.

NOTE TO SELF: DONT FORGET TO TICK NOTIFY ME BUTTON.