Old book exerpt posted - download now.

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

grooveguy

Old book exerpt posted - download now.

Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:12 pm

Fellow Trolls,

A member who is restoring an RCA 73-B lathe has solicited any pertinent documentation. The 73-B was covered in some detail in Dr. Oliver Read's 1954 book, The Recording and Reproduction of Sound. At personal risk of fine and imprisonment, I have scanned and PDFed the section from that book covering 'professional' disc recorders. In addition to the RCA 73-B, which is discussed in some detail, the book also touches on the Presto 8D/8DG, and Fairchild 539-G (portable) and 523 (studio) lathes. Even this second edition of the book has been out of print for decades, so my conscience is not terribly bothered by shameless copying and distributing. Nevertheless, I am reluctant to post the actual file here out of respect for the sanctity of the Late Trolls Website. The PDF is available on Dropbox at this address: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y32m12r40auh202/Oliver%20Read%20ProDisc.pdf?dl=0. It's a good-size file, and it may not stay up forever, so if you think this might have interest for you please download it soon.

My dad bought me this copy of Read's book when it first came out. I was in junior high school and already an avid Troll. Copies do show up on eBay, Half, Abe and other sites, and I urge members to obtain one if they can at reasonable cost. The recording technology is dated, of course, going back to the dawn of microgroove technique and even predating the RIAA recording characteristic. Notwithstanding its age, the book is a treasure-trove of information on sound recording in general, both amateur and professional in the media of tape, wire and disc.

rsimms3

Re: Old book exerpt posted - download now.

Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:29 pm

For reading purposes there's a scan/PDF of the whole book here:

http://www.tubebooks.org/books/read_recording.pdf

The pictures are rather dark with little detail.

7 copies on Amazon starting at $17 plus shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0007E6SB4/ref=tmm_hrd_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=

Babooino

Re: Old book exerpt posted - download now.

Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:53 pm

great material! luckily it covers both of my lathes, the RCA and Fairchild 523! Thank man!