Presto 1D Head Needs Help!

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

leestavall

Presto 1D Head Needs Help!

Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:41 am

Hey all -

My Presto 1D is on the fritz. I've used a multi meter to trace the lack of signal all the way to inside of the head, and now I have no idea what to do. See attached pictures. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be oh so grateful.
IMG_0886.JPG
IMG_0887.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-AZ

Leesta Vall Sound Recordings
http://www.leestavallsoundrecordings.com

Soulbear

Re: Presto 1D Head Needs Help!

Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:15 pm

Hi There,
Zooming into the images, the lower coil looks to be well cooked. If you have no continuity whilst doing your Ohms tests with a Multi-meter, a trip for the Presto, off to see Todd at DGM looks to be on the cards. Todd is providing a Mono Cutterhead refurbishment service, and I've only heard good things about it from his happy Patrons. Unless of course, you're happy to re-wind the Coils yourself, which may save you a few Pennies. Did you not put a fuse into One Leg of the Audio line to protect the Cutterhead from being Over-Driven? This fuse would have popped long before you cooked the coil, and is something of a must-do before putting the Head back into service. :wink: :P :D Soulbear

http://www.deepgroovesmastering.com/

piaptk

Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:11 pm

Yup. Send that sucker to Todd at Deep Grooves. He's the only person repairing them and he does them right. He's repaired or rewound 10-12 heads for me in the last year. He rules.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

leestavall

Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:36 pm

Just spoke to Todd. Off it goes!
-AZ

Soulbear

Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:42 pm

Hi There
Soulbear wrote:Todd is providing a Mono Cutterhead refurbishment service, and I've only heard good things about it from his happy Patrons
piaptk wrote:Yup. Send that sucker to Todd at Deep Grooves. He's the only person repairing them and he does them right. He's repaired or rewound 10-12 heads for me in the last year. He rules.
PIAPTK owns more than most people of Presto Gear, and so if he recommends DGM it's gospel! Nuff Said?
Soulbear :wink: :P :D
http://www.deepgroovesmastering.com/

piaptk

Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:35 pm

Yeah, I think it's fair to say that I've spent a few hours with Presto gear. Getting heads repaired before was horrendous. The few people that did it didn't really want to so it would take up to a year, and several times someone would pop up, take heads and then disappear, taking the heads with them.

Todd is reliable, quick, affordable, and stands by his repairs. "A+++++ Excellent seller! Would deal with again!"
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Gridlock

Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Mike have you ever blown a presto head even with an inline fuse? Just curious
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

leestavall

Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:35 am

Just a quick follow up to report that my head came back from Todd at DGM better then it had ever been before.

Todd was quick, super thorough, great communication, and I couldn't give a higher recommendation. Thank you Todd!
-AZ

Soulbear

Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:02 pm

Hi Leestaval,
I'm glad that worked out well for you. Now don't forget to protect the Presto by placing a fuse into one or t'other of the Audio feed cables, and you'll be set. A 250milliamp fuse will deliver you around 0.5Watts and a 350milliamp fuse should allow you to deliver around 1 Watt of power to the Cutterhead assuming you are now set for 8 Ohms operation , see here :-
Amplifier Output Table.jpg
I know that this is also posted elsewhere on the Forum so you may already have a copy, if not, here it is again, well worth reading/re-reading :-
Presto 1D Cutterhead Manual.pdf
Regards :wink: :P :D Soulbear
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.