Cutting 33 1/3 RPM

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mischmerz

Cutting 33 1/3 RPM

Sun May 15, 2016 11:14 pm

Ladies And Gents:

I had a hard time getting an acceptable 33 1/3 rpm cut on my Rek-O-Kut / Grampian. It was rumbling, the highs were pretty much absent and I was almost willing to give up on the idea of being able to cut 33 1/3. But than again - I don't give up easily. So I took everything apart - thoroughly cleaned the rubber, the capstan, lubed and oiled the turntable, disassembled cleaned, adjusted and lubed the overhead. A first test cut showed much improvement - but not enough for me. So - after about 1 1/2 years of avoiding a heated stylus, I actually added the wiring and electronics to be able get it hot. You guys should have told me in no uncertain terms that cutting without heat is like driving a Porsche in second gear only. Though I applied only 300mA it made all the difference. The background noise is virtually eliminated (there is a still a slight rumble, but barely noticeable) the brights are much, much better. As a matter of act I can hear the whining of the anti-static fan in the background on the record, if I crank the volume way up. Mind you - its still "only" Grampian quality - but I am a happy camper anyway.

Though I let y'all know.
cutheat.jpg
PS: The suction head end is purposely plugged into the feeder tube right of the head. Makes it easier to clean and to adjust. The heater supply wires are attached in a way so that I am able to remove them. Yeah - I know. Could have made it prettier - but I've got only thumbs on my hand when it comes to hardware.

Michaela
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aa.n.s

Re: Cutting 33 1/3 RPM

Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:42 pm

cutting without heat is like driving a Porsche in second gear only. Though I applied only 300mA it made all the difference. The background noise is virtually eliminated (there is a still a slight rumble, but barely noticeable) the brights are much, much better.

Hello, what kind of electronic, wire etc you use for heating. How mutch degree c° it heats ?
Regards
Aaron

crowesBR

Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:18 pm

Would love to know that too.

The same wiring and electronics will work on a Presto 1C?

How did you build? What electronics parts did you use?

Thanks
Anderson

mischmerz

Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:10 pm

aa.n.s wrote:cutting without heat is like driving a Porsche in second gear only. Though I applied only 300mA it made all the difference. The background noise is virtually eliminated (there is a still a slight rumble, but barely noticeable) the brights are much, much better.

Hello, what kind of electronic, wire etc you use for heating. How mutch degree c° it heats ?
Regards
Aaron
Aaron - I am using a regulated power supply to provide approx. 3 Volts with 250mA to a MyShank or Transco stylus.

m.