Cut Lead Out With Presto K8?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

yourbedhead

Cut Lead Out With Presto K8?

Mon May 09, 2016 8:42 pm

Anyone know if its possible to cut a lead out (not sure if this is what it is called) with a Presto K8? Lead out as in a grove that takes you to the center of the record when over and repeats over and over again. thanks

Snakeheadfishlab

Re: Cut Lead Out With Presto K8?

Mon May 16, 2016 7:39 am

I just cut a 1/4" of grooves for a lead in and a 1/4" of grooves for the lead out,you could do more until the tonearm picks up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yourbedhead

Mon May 16, 2016 10:42 am

yeah that is what I am doing currently. I assume other lathes can cut a true lead in/lead out but the presto cannot?

EpicenterBryan

Mon May 16, 2016 11:23 am

yourbedhead wrote:Anyone know if its possible to cut a lead out (not sure if this is what it is called) with a Presto K8?
Yes it's possible, but will take some practice. What you do is not engage the gear (lever at the back of the arm) but do start cutting while you manually move the head. Then when you get to where you want the song to start engage the lever. When you want the lead out hold the head, disengage the lever, and continue to move the head manually until you do the lock groove and lift up the head.

Here is a disc I did many years ago using that method.

Bryan
IMG_4729[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yourbedhead

Mon May 16, 2016 1:13 pm

Yeah I had thought about that and wondered if it was possible. thanks, I will give it a shot.

Gridlock

Mon May 16, 2016 2:48 pm

I use a seperate steel needle to cut a locked groove at each end real quick. I wouldnt use your ruby screwin around with lead outs on k series. And i was hoping bryan would chime in on this. Alan told me the same thing
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

yourbedhead

Mon May 16, 2016 2:57 pm

How do you do this once you have already cut the record? How are you lining it back up to cut the locked groove?
Gridlock wrote:I use a seperate steel needle to cut a locked groove at each end real quick. I wouldnt use your ruby screwin around with lead outs on k series. And i was hoping bryan would chime in on this. Alan told me the same thing

Gridlock

Mon May 16, 2016 5:03 pm

Personally i just set it rightafter the end and do just one rotation cut with the thing disengaged or if you cut inside out on most playbacks it will just loop (instead of falling into thr middle

tragwag

Mon May 16, 2016 6:00 pm

that was my thought, I believe they called it "eccentric" locked groove in the 78 era?
from my understanding it was sometimes cut before the audio.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Snakeheadfishlab

Mon May 16, 2016 7:48 pm

Please post a video of that in action,not gonna try til i see it.

yourbedhead

Mon May 16, 2016 8:22 pm

yes please!
Snakeheadfishlab wrote:Please post a video of that in action,not gonna try til i see it.

Gridlock

Mon May 16, 2016 11:51 pm

Thats why you use an old spent cutting needle for the locked/lead out because you are doing it manually and will get different results from trying the same thing over and over. Truly insane brah!

sgreiner1011

Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:36 pm

Hi All, Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but below is what I was going to do for the lead in/out grooves on my K10 while cutting. But I didn't want to try it until I got some more info. Wouldn't this method ruin a sapphire cutting needle (or any cutting needle)? The reason why I ask is that the needle will not be at the same angle if the gear lever is not engaged. The whole cutting head will be in a totally different angle facing down rather than the recommended 5 degrees facing up. I would think it would dull the needle out real quick. Like I said, I haven't tried this yet, so if anybody out there has done this over and over again with no issues, please let me know. THANKS!
yourbedhead wrote:Anyone know if its possible to cut a lead out (not sure if this is what it is called) with a Presto K8?
EpicenterBryan wrote:Yes it's possible, but will take some practice. What you do is not engage the gear (lever at the back of the arm) but do start cutting while you manually move the head. Then when you get to where you want the song to start engage the lever. When you want the lead out hold the head, disengage the lever, and continue to move the head manually until you do the lock groove and lift up the head.

Bryan