Soniphone Records In House Small Batch Vinyl

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Soniphone Records

Soniphone Records In House Small Batch Vinyl

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:30 pm

Hello my name is Johnny Lee Ledford and I own a small independent record label called Soniphone Records. I produce, engineer, and mix the records put out by my small label and utilize a combination of analog technologies such as a 1951 prototype webster-chicago reel to reel.

What I really desire is the ability to produce small batch limited vinyl records in house so we could offer something very special for our artists such as recording directly to the 1951 reel and then cutting that directly to vinyl.

I have been in contact with Sourri in seeking the Vinyl Recorder machine for a very long time now and I have read that he is very picky and I must not have made the cut. I even offered to buy two machines but still no reply.

I have been following this community for a bit and it seems like you are the experts to ask. What other options are there?

It looks like I could purchase an older machine like Vestax or a Rec O Cut or something along those lines and then modify it to use the diamond stylus and possibly use a stronger torque motor to cut to actual vinyl plates correct?

I have seen a number of users who have DIY made their own cutters. Are there any of these projects in the market for sale? The only other product that was in production that I could find to compete with the Vinyl Recorder was the Desktop Record Cutter and they just folded their project and are refunding their backers from Kickstarter.

Thank you for your time,

-Johnny

Sillitoe

Re: Soniphone Records In House Small Batch Vinyl

Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:30 pm

Hi Johnny,

Welcome to Lathetrolls!

I've just started my first Lathe for a client.
This build will enable me to finalise a few things including system options, build time and pricing. :D

Here's the last page of the thread http://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5645&start=160

The new Sillitoe Lathes Instagram is here https://www.instagram.com/sillitoe_lathes/

You'll also start to see banner advertising here on the forum. :wink:

Thanks
James

Soniphone Records

Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:19 pm

Oh awesome! This looks very interesting James! I'm definitely going to be following what you're up to! I'm really surprised that there are not more options for purchasing a unit that does small batch cutting with there being such a healthy market in vinyl sales.

Sillitoe

Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:10 pm

Hey thanks Johnny!

Yes, great to see that vinyl is very healthy!

I'm working as fast as I can to help fill this little gap in the market, as are a couple of other talented folk around here. :wink:

Cheers
James

Aussie0zborn

Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:47 pm

Good luck James. Your project looks great and will surely lt fill a big gap in the market.

Sillitoe

Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:53 pm

Thanks very much Aussie!!!
I really appreciate it mate!

recordboy

Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:56 pm

Wow very exciting!!!

Can't wait to see more indeed.

cheers
Cheers,