Technics Cosmetics and Other Issues

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Soulbear

Technics Cosmetics and Other Issues

Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:49 pm

Hi Trolls,
After a a long-lasting, interesting, and sometimes discontented ownership of this beauty (Like the time the Motor Capstan screw came loose causing the rotor to drop and Jam!!) We're now divorced, I had sought to use her outside of her design parameters as a Lathe Drive, but truth to tell, in spite of having a reasonably powerful motor she wasn't really up to the job, so we have now decided to call it a day and have gone our separate ways.
Garrard 401 + Acos Tonearm.JPG
The astute and knowledgable will instantly recognise this as one of the highly regarded, and possibly best Idler Drive Turntables ever made, the eponymous Garrard 401. She has been supplanted as the object of my affection and traded in for a new squeeze, namely :-
Technics SP10-1.JPG
I don't need to point out that this baby has far more stamina, and should be more than willing to do stuff beyond simple playback I.E. be a useful tool for making musical grooves appear in blank discs te he! After reading on the forum, glowing reports by Tragwag, Sillitoe, and others, and avidly following the discussion on the "Technics Hype" thread, I sought out an SP10 and was pleased when the vendor was happy to do a Part/Ex trade. So for a minimal cash outlay + the Garrard 401 I'm now the owner of an SP10 c/w the SH10 Power Supply Module and a Heavy Gauge Cast Metal Plinth. It runs on all three speeds as smooth a silk, is totally quiet, and has some serious poke. I know I shouldn't have been suprised by the poke, but it was still satisfying to find that its capabilities have not been exagerated, and if anything may have been understated. Unfortunately though, it has come with the cost of some cosmetic issues that I'm finding a real Ball-ache. The SH10 P.S.M. also has a minor/niggling issue which I will come to in a later post. To the matter in hand, in places the Lacquer finish on the Chassis Top Deck Plate is blistering and the aluminium underneath has an "Oxidisation Bloom" a sort of Aluminium Rust if you will (Yes I know Ferrous Metals Rust, but I'm searching for the correct terminology and I don't know how best to describe it!) Have any owners of SP10s or SL1200s and its variants had these sorts of issues, and how have you dealt with them? It would be really useful to know which (If any) is the best treatment and remedy. I have used Nitro-Mors, a U.K. proprietary paint and varnish remover in an attempt to help remove the Lacquer, but even after prolonged application it won't touch the Lacquer, which steadfastly refuses to soften. It's as hard a diamonds, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it may not actually be Lacquer, but may be a ceramic/glass like substance, which could have been baked onto the Chassis Top Deck Plate during the manufacturing process and prior to full assembly. A high speed Brass Wire brush used in a Dremel type Multi-Tool has proved to be equally ineffective at removing this coating too. I won't use a Steel Wire Wheel in the Dremel Tool even though I've got plenty of them, for fear of gouging into the soft Aluminium. The only thing so far that's worked, is using an abrasive sheet by hand but as I said it's a complete and utter Ball-ache. Any tips, hints, or recommendations of other Proven methods of doing this re-finishing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :wink: :P :D Soulbear
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sillitoe

Re: Technics Cosmetics and Other Issues

Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:41 pm

Nice one Soulbear!

To get it done nice (will probably cost more than you paid for the deck haha)
http://www.artisanfidelity.com/restoration/

I'm in the fine art restoration game, it can be a ball ache. :D

Good luck!

Cheers
James

Soulbear

Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:15 am

Hi There,
Sillitoe wrote:I'm in the fine art restoration game, it can be a ball ache. :D
Er yes, this is what I'm finding with this baby. Too coarse a grit whips off the coating but can lead to scoring of the Aluminium below, which then takes an age to flatten again using progressively finer abradant papers so the coarse stuff is best avoided as it takes much longer to put right the scoring, than to simply remove the coating in the first place. Which thus far, leaves using the really fine paper, as the most effective but Ball-ache, time consuming alternative, which coupled with trying to prevent the ingress of the dust of the removed material entering the speed changing switch slots, the start/stop switch, motor etc, is proving to be a real challenge. I've never been blessed with an abundance of patience, but I guess I'm going to have to try and nurture and develop this attribute in an effort to bring this SP10 back to something approaching its former beauty eh? Ho Hum :( :? Soulbear

Sillitoe

Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:36 am

Soulbear wrote:I've never been blessed with an abundance of patience, but I guess I'm going to have to try and nurture and develop this attribute in an effort to bring this SP10 back to something approaching its former beauty eh?
Yeah, patience will help a bit with cutting too! :lol:

Soulbear

Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:19 am

Hi James and Trolls,
Yes, I guess patience when cutting is a real must too, as I dare suppose any ill-considered actions can lead to errors and prove to be mighty expensive. The costs of a new Diamond Stylus alone is worryingly pricey, and thoughts of the cost of a Cutterhead Re-build, are as fine a Natural Laxative as you could wish for eh? I've had a result with the re-finishing of the SP10, though currently work has been abandoned due to not knowing the toxicity of the dust produced. Gotta get me some disposable Face Masks. I guess that should have been the first task instead of breathing in Crappy Dust for over half an hour yesterday. It's so easy to want to make progress without thinking of the health implications (My Dumb Ass!!) I'm using the High-Speed Dremel Type Tool and a 600 Grit Flap Wheel, and with the lightest of touches it is getting the coating off where it's Blown/Blistered and down to sound metal, and it also roughens up the areas where its not, to give a key for the new paint. Talking of which, waddaya think??? Too Much???
Deep Blue Flake.JPG
Well it's gonna be this or Blue Hammer Finish
The other minor issue which I've now managed to resolve was the Power Supply On Lamp. It wasn't working and the Lens appeared to be missing. Thinking I've a fat chance of finding one of those, I got dead lucky and found it had been pushed or had fallen backwards (The Lens was just glued to the end-plate) and was inside the SH10 lodged under the P.C.B. I was a little confused when I was testing because it looked like the L.E.D. was hooked up to a 6Volts Low Voltage A.C. winding off the Mains Transformer. I sneakily joined the Vinylengine forum which allowed me to download the Schematics, and when I removed the lampholder found that instead of an L.E.D. there was a small incandescant Light bulb, and though the Ceramic Lampholder had over the intervening years virtually turned to dust, enough of it remained to allow me to glue in a 1.2Watt Auto Dashboard Capless Bulb, Voila Result! I've got rid of the Minor Irritation of no Power Indication :wink: :P :D Soulbear
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sillitoe

Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:34 am

Hi Soulbear, great to hear!

Haha wow! You'll be cutting lots of disco??? :D

If you don't like the finish then you can just whip it off and try another colour :wink:

recordboy

Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:28 am

Oh Dear...
If I wouldve seen this post earlier I wouldve suggested to wet sand the top coat as one does to a car. no dust that way either. its time consuming yet less so then cleaning up after a dusty mess. this is how all good Finnishs are done before finally Polishing to a mirrored finnish. Or if you got a dind in yr paint etc. (Block sanding)

yet omg that blue looks incredible!!!

Exciting!!!

congrats on the score. one step closer!!!
Cheers,
recordboy