Scully lamp socket/bulb holder

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Cutterwoller

Scully lamp socket/bulb holder

Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:07 pm

Dear all,

Iv been searching around on the net a bit trying to find the bulb holder that holds the lamp over a Scully turntable and screws into the curved chromed pipe.

At the moment, I have a holder which I got from a standard lamp place but its doesn't have the thread to screw onto the pipe. The original part also had a switch but, I could do without that if needs be.

Anyone got any ideas if this part is still available anywhere or anyone encountered this kind of task before? Anyone have a spare!?

Pics of current situation.
IMG_7534.JPG
IMG_7535.JPG
Cheers, Lewis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bahndahn

Re: Scully lamp socket/bulb holder

Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:17 pm

It will be good to measure the thread pitch on those internal threads, with a thread gauge like the one pictured here:
Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 2.12.03 PM.png
You will also need to measure the width of that opening– both of these operations could likely be 'guessed' to a pretty good degree. There are standard lighting connections that might help you guess.

This might not be a standard lighting connection thread – it might be a pipe-taper standard or realistically anything else!

For standard lighting connectors and individual parts, check out http://grandbrass.com/ .

Best of luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Soulbear

Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:02 pm

Hi There,
I can tell you for sure that the best place to get what you're looking for is probably either a good old-fashioned Electrical Wholesaler or anyone who does Architectural and Engineering Salvage. The threads on these (if they're anything like the U.K. Produced items of this vintage) are NOT standard pipe threads like B.S.P. or N.P.T. but are a bespoke Electrical Conduit Threads which went from around 1/4in up to 2in. Above that size, cabling would then usually be drawn through Square Section Steel Trunking with removable covers. To make matters worse, when in their infinite wisdom the U.K. started adopting this continental Metric Bollocks, to further complicate matters from around the early 1970s you would find 20mm swapped for 3/4" and 25mm for 1" 32mm for 1"1/4 etc. Close but NOT inter-swappable. Another option you might get lucky with is if you know any Old Timers from the Electrical Contracting Industry, who may still have Electrical Conduit Taps and Dies that would enable you to cut a new thread to suit. If all else fails you could have someone Braze it together then paint it to keep things neat eh? :wink: :P :D Soulbear

Kiss the Groove

Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:34 pm

That pipe looks like it has a U.S. standard 1/2" IPS (pipe) thread, but as Bahndahn pointed out, you'll need to check this. If it does, then you might be able to use a socket like this Leviton 10051, plus a 1/2" close pipe nipple:
Leviton_10051.jpg
I can't tell from the photos how the shade is attached, so the above may not be suitable. If the socket you've already got (it looks like a nice, heavy-duty cast part with a standard 1/8" IPS thread?) holds the shade well, you could just adapt it with a 1/2-1/8" reducer and a 1/8" straight-thread nipple:
reducer.jpg
nipple.jpg
The nipple would be short enough to be hidden, with the socket butting up against the reducer. These parts are widely available from online distributors like grandbrass, classiclampparts, platt, etc.
Good luck with your search.

Regards -- KtG

Bahndahn

Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:22 pm

Soulbear wrote:If all else fails you could have someone Braze it together then paint it to keep things neat eh?
Quite a realistic idea indeed. Even more obtainable, clean, and reversible would be to epoxy a new insert inside this opening that acts as a reducer down to something common in lighting. This could be done with little to no evidence, and can always be reverted by torching the epoxy to break it down.

Cutterwoller

Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:05 am

Hey Guys,

So, the diameter inside the pipe is 13/16ths...odd. Thats measuring from one thread crest to the other on the opposite side with my calipers.

The thread pitch was harder to measure as you cannot actually get in a look to see the gauge resting on the threads as its a small hole and blocks all light when holding the gauge in there. I think its a 14 thread.

If I could find a reducer I think I would be sorted. I strongly doubt this part is made anymore and finding one might be quite the ballache.

Bahndahn, I quite like your idea of glueing in a more modern part what will fit to my existing bulb holder.

It would be great if someone with the lamp socket could measure it just to confirm that my measurements of the mating pipe are correct.

Cheers, Lewis

Gridlock

Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:21 am

Can I just see some pix of the Scilly? And where/who did you get it?
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

Bahndahn

Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:38 pm

Cutterwoller wrote:So, the diameter inside the pipe is 13/16ths...odd. Thats measuring from one thread crest to the other on the opposite side with my calipers.

The thread pitch was harder to measure as you cannot actually get in a look to see the gauge resting on the threads as its a small hole and blocks all light when holding the gauge in there. I think its a 14 thread.
Hey,

Can you tell if there is a taper? by way of putting those the [inner diameter measuring] calliper jaws inside the thread and seeing if they lay flat on both sides over the length of threaded pipe..

If you can confidently measure this situation - I will make you the part for free. If you live hella far from Canada I might request you pay shipping.

So, TPI/pitch, and ID in format: 0.000" ± 0.000" - and I can churn that thing out on 5 minutes.