Cutting with diamond ... stylus pressure .. weight ..

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mischmerz

Cutting with diamond ... stylus pressure .. weight ..

Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:25 pm

Santa was very gracious and brought me a myshank stylus and blanks. He must somehow overlooked a few of my deeds last year :) Anyway .. the FAQ on myshank's web site suggests a max. weight of 14 grams - which is very low based on my previous experiences cutting lacquers. I usually adjust the weight with a kitchen scale under the (Grampian) head and usually set it to about 30+ grams for cutting lacquers. If I set it to 14 grams, my Grampian almost floats and it will start to jump very, very easy.

So either I am misreading something, or I am doing the measuring wrong or those diamonds styli are cutting into the plastic like a butter knife. In any way - I though I ask before I do something wrong.

Michaela

uvoscillator

Re: Cutting with diamond ... stylus pressure .. weight ..

Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:06 am

hey Michaela,
looks like you use pretty same setup as I am, and back in the days I had same problem... and cut a lot with about 60gramms !!
yep, but anyway I got about 200hrs from Steven's styli ))) Steven was surprised :lol:

you can solve this weight issue with adding more counterweight, not sure how many I have added, but think around 50gr.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7-V3HakD41BSHMzOFNHYlpWZ3M/view?usp=sharing

now I have exact 14gr and that is good enough !

S
Best !

mischmerz

Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:31 am

uvoscillator wrote: now I have exact 14gr and that is good enough !
S
Thanks for the info. Will try it out. So obviously those diamonds do cut the blanks like a hot knife the butter :)

Michaela.

pellegrino707

Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:41 am

mischmerz wrote:
Thanks for the info. Will try it out. So obviously those diamonds do cut the blanks like a hot knife the butter :)

Michaela.
Yes, they do! :)

Anyway i cut with MyShank styluses at about 16 to 20 gr with great results.