Some more questions about Wilcox-Gay

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

AgentX56

Some more questions about Wilcox-Gay

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:07 pm

Hello to those reading this. I have recently bought a Wilcox-Gay recordio.
It was exceptionally stupid of me to plug it in at first getting it, and for that I apologize. It has not hurt the machine to my knowledge. I found it necessary though to investigate it. What I found is that it turns on, and makes a loud noise such as electricity getting higher, at the time it was turning on my fingers were touching the tone arm for I wanted to test that first, and was slightly shocked like those prank gum packs, except to my experience the gum packs hurt worse.
I immediatly shut it off afterwards. The turntable works and I have yet to find a manual (it said it had one but didn't) so I can use it, but if the electricity I was zapped with is not normal then I don't think recording and playing records is at the top of my priority list. Should I find a professional or is there something I can do to fix it myself? I have the layout plans for it.
Here's the Ebay page from which it came: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221966676336?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully help me. Merry Christmas!

grooveguy

Re: Some more questions about Wilcox-Gay

Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:39 pm

Hello, agentX56,

(I have now programmed my secret decoder ring and can communicate.)

Do you have the model number of your Recordio? Before you go much farther with it, I would determine why you are receiving a shock off the tonearm. I am not familiar with all the Wilcox Gay models, but do have experience with the General Industries decks (top plate, turntable, etc.) that were used on many Recordios. I do not know whether WG utilized "AC/DC" circuitry in their amplifier; that 'technology' (or lack of!) was common in the '40s and '50s with table radios. In that case one side of the AC mains cord is connected to the chassis, posing a very real threat of a nasty shock or worse! The little table radios were somewhat safer because metal parts were generally covered. But your recorder, if it is AC/DC circuitry, can be dangerous. Whatever you do, don't work on it while standing in the bath tub!

Give us a model number, if you can, and perhaps we can locate a schematic and other documentation on line.

Simpleton

Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:15 pm

Hey, Boss.

I also recently purchased a Wilcox-Gay machine. Haven't got a chance to play with it yet, what with the holidays and everything, but I can offer some basic advice being in a similar position as you.

Coil up that power cord for the time-being, and don't think about plugging it in again for a little bit. Plugging it in was a silly but ridiculously common first mistake, so don't beat yourself up over it. Hopefully it wasn't on for long enough to do any serious damage.

The Wilcox-Gay machines are all 60+ years old, though, and will need some love, as a lot of the electrical components are prone to failure. You'll definitely want to replace the paper and electrolytic capacitors, in any case, which shouldn't be too hard if you're wiling to do some reading and know how to use a soldering iron.

I'm not sure if your Recordio would have a hot chassis or not, but in case it does I recommend you look through the following links and then determine for yourself whether you're comfortable trying to do the work of fixing that yourself.

http://www.geojohn.org/Radios/MyRadios/Safety.html

http://antiqueradio.org/safety.htm

I hope you had a good holiday season, and wish you the best going into the new year! :D

(Also, keep us posted with your progress!)
Cheers!

AgentX56

Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:18 am

Hello all and sorry for the late reply, New Years is more hectic than Christmas and we have to be everywhere at once. We just got back from a great party, and I somehow decided to start up my computer before I went to bed...
Anyway, enough about me.

The model number: 6B30
The serial number: 712346

It did come with a circuitry layout and slight instructions. As soon as the morning I will upload them.

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply! :mrgreen:

AgentX56

Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:30 pm

Finally! Problems with printer problems with upload.
Anyway, I've been trying to get a higher quality scan somewhere, but no one I know has a printer that can be make this file very clear. Tell me if you can read the scan and I'll get on the rest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.