Rolandjays vacuume plate?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

sameal

Rolandjays vacuume plate?

Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:29 pm

Im thinking about this platter, but i cant get ahold of rolandjays.

Im wondering how id get it to work on a presto 8dg.
Im totally new to this.

Anybody got any experience?

sameal

Re: Rolandjays vacuume plate?

Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:12 pm

I guess i should get a little more specific. Judging by the photos on ebay i cant see how to hook up the vacuume to the platter, and im concerned about clearance with the head on the 8dg

ROLANDJAYS

Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:24 pm

HELLOOOOOOO
HOW DID YOU TRY TO CONTACT ME ?

YOU PUT THE PLATTER ON A STANDARD TURNTABLE , STANTON, TECHNIC, NUMARK ECT...
.280" INCH DIAMETER SPINDLE
YOU MUST CUT A KEY WAY OR DRILL 2 HOLES (IN YOUR SPINDLE ) FOR THE AIR TO GO THRU YOUR SPINDLE AND UNDER THE RECORD
THEN I INCLUDE A CAP THAT GOES OVER THE SPINDLE , YOU WILL HOOK UP THE AIR HOSE TO THIS CAP.
THERE ARE SET SCREWS YOU ADJUST AIRFLOW, DEPENDING IN THE DIFFERENT SIZE OF RECORD.

sameal

Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:34 am

Hey!

I sent an ebay message, and i thought i sent a message here, but i cant find it in my sent folder, so i probably messed something up sending it.

So, my next question would be, how harx would it be to drill the holes in the spindle?

And can the vacuum platter run off the vacuum pump for the chips?

rsimms3

Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:01 am

Does the 8DG have a threaded spindle? I think most 8DG users probably use a spindle weight or if it is threaded a nut to hold the blank down against the platter. I think the vacuum platter RolandJays makes is more for use with Technics turntables running an overhead with limited weight because increased weight can have a negative impact on correct speed and cause wow/flutter. At least that's the impression I get since it is made in a 12" size. I would not recommend drilling the spindle on a 8DG, if something goes wrong you'll never find a replacement platter assembly.

sameal

Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:06 pm

Thats what i assumed.

There is indeed a weight supplied with the 8dg.

Would it be possible/neccesary to have a custom vac platter made up?

rsimms3

Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:55 pm

If you have the weight you should be good. I haven't seen anyone here with an 8DG that uses a vacuum system. If you use the weight, flat blanks, and your platter is clean you should be okay without slipping during your cut.

sameal

Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:06 pm

Actually, in a crazy turn of events, i think the lathe already has a vacuum platter on it!

Id just need a chuck made.

This explains the other platter by the machine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sameal

Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:09 pm

If you look close you can see the drilling. It goes out to about the center of the platter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mischmerz

Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:48 pm

sameal wrote:If you look close you can see the drilling. It goes out to about the center of the platter
So .. the spindle off a say Technics is actually hollow? One would have to cut of the top and drill a little hole under the record and that would be it?

m.

sameal

Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:37 am

mischmerz wrote:
sameal wrote:If you look close you can see the drilling. It goes out to about the center of the platter
So .. the spindle off a say Technics is actually hollow? One would have to cut of the top and drill a little hole under the record and that would be it?

m.
I cant speak for a technics table, i dont own one. The table pictured was pre modified and from a presto.