does anyone own/use a Stanton STR8-150 for cutting?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

tragwag

does anyone own/use a Stanton STR8-150 for cutting?

Tue May 27, 2014 4:22 pm

I know the turntable torque discussion is on here (http://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=3327&p=20130)
But I'm curious if anyone actually picked up the Stanton STR8-150 for cutting?
It's listed torque (specifically START TORQUE, which is a cryptic number at best for running torque from what I understand) is: 4.5 kg/cm
The technics 1200 in comparison has a 1.5 kg/cm

Any guidance into current production decks with higher RUNNING torque would be awesome!
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

studiorp

Re: does anyone own/use a Stanton STR8-150 for cutting?

Tue May 27, 2014 4:32 pm

I am with 3.5 kg/cm and works very well, probably with 4.5 will be more than ok...

aaron

Wed May 28, 2014 10:26 am

I use a Stanton ST.150, which I believe is the same thing except with the curved tonearm. I cut polycarbonate with a diamond, grooves around 2-3mil (50-80 micron). The turntable seems to barely keep up, and if the disc is warped, you can sometimes hear the playback get a little wobbly.

studiorp

Wed May 28, 2014 11:08 am

In fact these modern turntables for dj so are complete and very precise about the stability of speed, but the problem is the wobble platter. Too I had this issue, then I have solved adapting my original platter for lathe .

Aussie0zborn

Wed May 28, 2014 12:06 pm

aaron wrote:I use a Stanton ST.150, which I believe is the same thing except with the curved tonearm. .
Yes the ST150 and the STR8 150 is the same turntable, the first having a regular S shaped tonearm and the second having a straight (STR8) tonearm.

I shudder when I see these Chinese made turntables with higher specs than an SL1200 although its not impossible. Stanton is not the company it once was since Mr Stanton sold it. Today it's more about selling consumer products to bedroom DJs.

Gus

Thu May 29, 2014 6:07 am

The problem with super oem turntables is the wobble platter.

http://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4663&hilit=Stanton+ST+150

studiorp

Thu May 29, 2014 7:28 am

I remember that too the Technics 1200 had this problem, probably will be more precise than the others, but this issue remain.
I have never seen a dd turntable with the platter perfectly built, perhaps only the sp-10 ??

aaron

Thu May 29, 2014 9:54 am

Actually, when I first got the ST.150, I had to send it in for repair because the platter it came with had an awful wobble..

I don't really have any problems with it, my main problem is when the blanks aren't perfectly flat (since I don't have a vacuum system). With flat blanks, it works fairly well... not sure I'd recommend it as a turntable for cutting though.

tragwag

Thu May 29, 2014 4:49 pm

those are my fears.. though it's listed at 4.5 kg/cm, that's only starting torque.
I don't think the running torque is anywhere near that.
Thanks for the advice!
I'm doing better with the tech 1210 I have now, but I'll be looking for something more substantial for sure.

studiorp

Thu May 29, 2014 5:13 pm

But is possible measure the torque of work of a dd turntable ?

Gus

Thu May 29, 2014 5:26 pm

Hey tragwag!
the torque of stanton st-150 is really awesome!
i'm wondering if i can replace the stanton platter with technics sl-1200 :?:

studiorp

Thu May 29, 2014 5:34 pm

What change if you replace on platter with another ? (always that is possible do this....) The wobble is always there...
Unfortuantely these platters are not so precise as the turntables...
The thing better is rebuild it with a lathe of a workshop, or adapt another platter that came from another record lathe, for example a Presto...

tragwag

Fri May 30, 2014 10:31 am

I have no clue about switching platters,
I would have to guess no, by the sole fact that direct drive systems mean that the platter and motor are directly attached.

opcode66

Fri May 30, 2014 2:12 pm

Platters are generally something that you can change out with some effort. If it is direct drive and there is physical linkage between the platter and the motor through the bearing, then the platter usually fits onto a coned center spindle. Pull straight up to remove. Have another platter made with the same cone in the center.

Also, to clarify, the Technics turntable is direct drive but there is no physical connection to any motor as such. Direct drive doesn't necessarily mean connected to a motor. Sometimes, it means the platter is a part of the motor as in the case of the Technics. There are coils beneath the platter. Those coils are half of the BLDC motor (that is the Technics turntable). The other half comprises of the platter with a magnetic ring on the bottom. The platter moves because the magnetic ring is held within a fluxing and pulsating magnetic field. The bearing assembly is the only thing that holds the platter to the turntable. It is held in place via a cone. The platter is directly driven on in that it is actually a part of the motor assembly.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Gus

Fri May 30, 2014 3:15 pm

as you can see the stanton st-150 have very similar platter/motor as a Technics sl-1200
but i don't have idea if the platter of Technics sl-1200 is more stable than stanton st-150
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

opcode66

Fri May 30, 2014 3:23 pm

I have a feeling they are likely very similar.

But, you see how you could have a custom platter made. It would simply have a coned hole in the center for the spindle bearing. And, you would have to have the magnet mounted on the bottom. Otherwise, the rest of the design is up to you.

If all you want is flat, then your project is very straightforward. If you want to have a flat and heavy platter, then the question becomes, how much of the torque are you willing to sacrifice in order to add weight. If you add enough weight, you might need to tweak the electromagnetic system to maintain torque and speed.

I tried taking a platter off one of my technics, flipping it, and placed it on the other. The motor really struggled and often couldn't maintain speed with my finger adding minimal downward force (to simulate a cutterhead being applied).

I am working on a line of BLDC motors with custom control circuits. Small, medium and large. Should be released by the end of the year.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

studiorp

Fri May 30, 2014 3:47 pm

In fact opcode, this was the problem that I had months ago.
The platter that I had was similar as in the photo above, it weight 1,3 kg with the magnet, but it was not precise unfortunately.
Fortunately I had a part the original platter lathe built in iron cast of 1940-50 years, very precise and super stable. So for not get tired the dd motor , I have adapted it removing 1 kg and so if before it weight 3.2, now is to 2.2. Ok, probably in this way I have reduced the inertia, most important for have a stable speed; this is true especially in belt system, but here the motor start to rotate with a weight above it, so is better not add over.

But exist a formula for the relationship among the torque of motor and weight of platter ?