How to make lead in-out in manual method?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

godz

How to make lead in-out in manual method?

Sat May 17, 2014 5:05 am

i'm just newbie in lathe cut now i'm trying to cut many PVC sheet something is ok but i can't make lead in-out line, who can explain me for this method?
thank you

studiorp

Re: How to make lead in-out in manual method?

Sat May 17, 2014 7:13 am

What lathe do you have ?

godz

Sun May 18, 2014 12:17 am

this one, mono machine

Stevie342000

Sun May 18, 2014 4:28 am

Ahh yes you have a crank handle on the right hand side.

It looks like one of those Japanese lathes from the 1970s or 1980s, search threads here we have seen it before.

Lead and Lead out are simple. You turn the crank handle in the direction of motion e.g. 1/2 turn for lead in and 1 turn or more for lead out. To get a locked groove you need to disengage the head when you get to the middle, let it revolve once and once only (unless you want to ruin your cutting stylus or blank) and then lift the cutter head.

You will need to experiment to get the right number of turns for lead in and lead out. Some lathes like Neumann and Scully did it automatically at the press of a button.

Lead in pitch is something 32.5 lpi and lead out is much coarser usually but it is no big deal to do it manually. I have to do it manually on mine, there may be information on the Wiki for lathe trolls as well on lead and lead out.

godz

Mon May 19, 2014 2:51 am

thank you but i can't manual rotate crank handle at platter running, the crank handle will be follow with motor ever

Stevie342000

Mon May 19, 2014 3:41 am

Hmm....I think you may be able to .....you just need to try carefully but not too carefully...otherwise there would be little point in have the small handle on the crank.

You may be right get yourself a metal cutting tip (see classifieds) or ebay (281255271864) Jerry sells them you may need to chat with him a bit to get the right one for your cutter head. Then if you do make a mistake you are not costing yourself the price of ruby or diamond cutting styli.

Once you have a metal cutting styli give it a try with that stylus and see what happens. You could do some practice to see if it will turn to cut lead in and lead out groove without the cutting head engaged with the disc surface to be cut.

If you can't then you can't but if you have to turn that handle to get the cutter carriage back to the start of the disc then you should be able to when cutting a disc.

I am not familiar with this cutting lathe, there are others on here who have one and you should check out those threads and contact those people that do have one they are best placed to help you out. I think there is a thread in this section as well which may link to the other threads?

I see yours has two meters, does that make is a stereo cutter head, there are both types of machine around mono and stereo.

godz

Mon May 19, 2014 4:51 am

around cutter head have small latch, i can move (push) the cutter head by handy at the platter running but very hard to control hand weights and speed, it would be easier if i can use crank handle

for meters that you see another one for mic input (two track recording in mono)

Stevie342000

Mon May 19, 2014 7:16 am

Hello I just remembered that this is a Van Rock or something similar, if you use that as your search in this forum you will find others who have this same machine.

They are more experienced than I with it but you should be able to practice turning the crank handle with out the head engaged or without it touching disc surface. Be careful what you do though do not force anything or you may break it spare parts may be an issue.

But you should be able to find out more from the others in this group that have the machine, one of them may even have a manual, it may be in Japanese though.

Patience and you will get there take it slow and easy do not try to rush anything, learn to be in sync with the machine, learn what it can do and will not do and how to get the results you are looking for takes time and practice.

godz

Tue May 20, 2014 11:01 pm

thank you i will try some