Restoring an old leadscrew

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

Restoring an old leadscrew

Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:57 am

I have come across a spare leadscrew. It is old (from a VMS 66). Mostly dirty. But, possibly a little rusty as well.

I would like to give it some love. One suggestion was soaking it in WD-40. Would anyone else care to give some advice? I know we have a number of cutters on the forum who have restored old overhead mechanisms. I would really appreciate your wisdom here.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

opcode66

Re: Restoring an old leadscrew

Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:20 pm

Anyone? Anyone? Bueler? Bueler?
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

Radardoug

Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:45 pm

Soak it in WD40, scrub it with a wire brush. Because it is a precision component, you don't want to get too rough with it.

opcode66

Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:24 pm

Thanks!

How about just using a microfiber rag on it after soaking? I think that would be good.

rsimms3

Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:28 pm

White vinegar is supposed to be good as a bath to remove rust, also making a baking soda paste with water to scrub parts down with a tooth brush. I've seen folks say that boiling water with baking soda is great for removing paint from metal parts, but no mentions for rust.

Virtalahde

Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:00 am

I would first scrub it with something softer, like a toothbrush. Then get rougher if there is a stubborn piece of rust.

THEVICTROLAGUY

Re: Restoring an old lead screw

Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:35 pm

i clean and repair feed screws quite frequently for the Edison cylinder phonograph. do not use a wire brush or any kind of mechanical device to clean the feed screws, a wire brush can destroy a feed screw in a matter of minutes. also, do not chase the threads with a razor blade or any kind of sharp instrument, you can change the dimensions of the threads to the point the half nut will no longer track it correctly.

i use common toothpaste, not the new gel, good old fashioned white tooth paste, it is slightly abrasive and will remove most of the rust and corrosion using just your fingers, a tooth brush and hot water. many people try to get an old feed screw looking like new, as long as it works it does not matter if it is discolored. if you have a feed screw that works but is discolored, a great way to make it look nice is to simply use cold gun bluing. it will color the feed screw, usually hiding the discoloration, these come out looking virtually new, actually a deep black. trying to get a feed screw bright silver again in many cases will destroy the threads. this method works. a discolored feed screw that works is much better than a bright shiny one that does not.

opcode66

Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:56 pm

Mossboss has suggested cleaning out the threads using a wooden toothpick or meat scewer. Seems impossible to alter the metal shape with wood.

Thank you everyone who has responded. I thnk i have a course of action. My plan is to restore and clone them. Combined with my halfnuts, a few 3d printed parts and a couple of rods, a dc motor and you've got yourself a modern overhead.

symatic

Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:59 am

I've just come across this thread as I'm in the same postion with my lead screw- needing to clean decades of black grease and dirt out.

I have got rid of most of it with Isopropyl and a toothbrush - the toothpick wasn't getting too far into the groove.

Is there any reason Isopropyl might be damaging to the metal? I might try the toothpaste thing too...
any advice welcome!