Chip jar?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

aaron

Chip jar?

Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:51 am

I have a homebrew lathe, and right now I'm using a shop-vac, connected to a plastic jar, and then a tube that goes to another copper tube to pick up chip. My question, do I really need a chip jar? I'm only cutting plastic.. is there any reason that the shop-vac canister couldn't be the "chip jar"?

alexsation

Re: Chip jar?

Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:48 am

Chip jar is optional! Her is usually is set on the professional machines that do not have a bag for collecting waste. Connect the household vacuum cleaner and be afraid of nothing. But do not make a vacuum cleaner hose is too long otherwise suction force will be weak. And finally: You must be able to control the force of suction sometimes it is very necessary.
Best regards, Alexey Sobolev.
http://www.vinylium.ru
http://shop.vinylium.ru

opcode66

Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:25 am

Exactly right. On a Neumann, for example, the vacuum is simply a blower motor contained within a wooden enclosure with a slot vent for output and a round port for intake.

This round port is split by a y adapter and goes to both the chip jar as well as the scope arm and thereby to to the chuck table.

Without the chip jar, chip would go straight to the blower motor and probably ignite. Or at the very least gunk up the inner workings of the motor.

So, as long as you are sure that wont happen in the shop vac scenario, then go for it. But, chip in a motor, probably not good.... I think shop vacs are made to isolate the motor from the container.

A chip jar would be fairly easy to make. I'm sure you can find an air tight sealable style containter that you can drill two holes in the top of and add ports. Then, cover the output port (one connected to the vacuum) with some wire mesh or a screen or what not. Boom, chip jar. Fill with water mixed with liquid soap and you are golden. Connect the other port (without the mesh) to your nozzle on your cutterhead. Done and done.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

audadvnc

Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:13 pm

I use a 5 gallon paint bucket with hose connections in and out. The inside of the bucket is reinforced with a 10 1/2 audio tape flange to keep the bucket from collapsing due to the vacuum.