Vote on a new look for the board.

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Which new board style(s) would you prefer?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:08 pm

Artodia: Deluxe
43%
Artodia: Phantom
21%
Prosilver
29%
Other (pick from https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styles/board_styles/light-18/sid_6dd6bf4e7f3faa16c68b4a7466f0fff1)
No votes
You're crazy to change the look
7%

Total votes: 14

Steve E.
Site Admin

Vote on a new look for the board.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:08 pm

I'm going to change the default look of the board. It's gotta happen. Subsilver2, which we've been using for years, is just too unsexy, and it looks bad with every plugin I'm trying.

I'd love some feedback. If you go to your "user control panel" > "board preferences" > "my board style", you can try out some approximate looks I am considering. Be aware that it will move some menu items around.

You'll notice that I'm trying out a new logo look on these new styles. You may offer feedback on that, too.

In addition: The colors are changeable (by me) on these styles. If you like an overall look but think I should change up some aspect of the colors, please include that info in a followup post. Please offer specific constructive suggestions if you do so. "I don't like it" is not a suggestion.

I think all of these styles move the avatar to the right. I might keep it on the left. There are all sorts of little tweaks I can do. One thing I'd LOVE is to put the "private message" link on the main panel, not have it hidden inside the user panel. I think that's doable, but it might take some figuring out.

I want to be clear that this is not really a democratic thing I'm doing. I'm looking for advisement, but in the end I'm going to go with a mixture of that and my gut. THAT SAID, your suggestions will help me improve and decide what I'm going to do.

I've spent quite a long time researching styles. There are a lot of them here: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styles/board_styles/light-18/sid_6dd6bf4e7f3faa16c68b4a7466f0fff1 I'm trying to pick styles that are actively maintained and up-to-date with the board's software.

If it makes you feel better: If you hate whichever new look I eventually choose, you will be able to go manually back to subsilver2 in the same way you just tried on these new styles. I'll support it as long as I can.

I tend to hate change. Whenever Facebook moves things around it makes me crazy. People who are into vinyl might be people who aren't so into change, either. :D I feel you. So the hope is to make one big overall change, and just stick with it.

thanks!

Steve E.
Site Admin

Re: Vote on a new look for the board.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:18 pm

Please consider:

Is the format easy to navigate?
Are all the features working and present?
Is the formatting working on your various devices and browsers? (if not, which browsers and OS?)
Is the brightness and color scheme easy to read, or is it a strain?
Is it generally attractive?

and what do you think of the new logo?

And, any further suggestions?

tragwag

Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:57 pm

I like the prosilver! though I don't like change either... haha
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Steve E.
Site Admin

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:20 am

I'm messing around a bit with the Artodia styles, though of course they shouldn't really be a moving target DURING a poll. I made it such that, if you are using them on a smart phone, they should display very nice now. For some reason Deluxe is doing this better than Phantom.

I wonder if Deluxe would fare better if I brightened it up a bit. I sure do like the buttons on the top.

Steve E.
Site Admin

Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:24 pm

This is the most poorly attended poll in the history of internet polling. I've extended it, in case anyone is further inspired to vote, and more importantly I'd love any further discussion.

Nonetheless, given my tendencies and a lack of strong feelings otherwise, I am pretty sure I'm going to go with Artodia Deluxe for an overall formatting look. It turns out it is a "responsive" style, which means it can be made to look GREAT on smartphones, iPads and the like. Any amount of further tweaking of the colors can be done, too, and I may try to brighten up the default a bit.

As long as possible, I will leave open the options to personally set YOUR board interface to Prosilver and Subsilver2 in your user panel, in case you really prefer that look.

opcode66

Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:15 pm

sinterklaas

Definitely, sinterklaas...
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Steve E.
Site Admin

Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:54 pm

Careful with your jokes, I'm so perverse I just might do it. That one is AMAZING.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/sinterklaas/demo/sid_1a71238922962508f6adf1d742c6198f

IRF80

Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:04 pm

Oh yeah... Deluxe is nice. Not a big difference in usability which is good but modern "cool". Nice logo too.

I found the others a bit too much of a change.