my "new" radiotone machines

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

JayDC

my "new" radiotone machines

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:17 am

I was lucky enough to find 3 machines, i plan to use these instead of the presto 6n for my frankenlathe project... i may even restore one of these machines for sale if i don't need it for parts..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
generally its for reproduction.. but i like to play wif it sometimes.. :P

MBL

Re: my "new" radiotone machines

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:51 am

AWESOME! I am truly envious of your lathe rigs! Very Cool!
Tim
MBL

powerstrip

Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:07 am

Somebody cashed in hard!

These radiotone lathes are off the charts, very excited/envious for you right now! Everything about the radiotone design screams "compact, but with professional features" Adjustable gear-box, quiet overhead mechanism (no center flange to transfer vibration), chain-driven platter, these things are MONEY!

I hate to say it, but they make presto 6n's look like wilcox-gay recordios. I saw three of these on ebay/classifieds and tip-offs recently,,, must be the same ones

Props, Jay, looks like you have some work to do!

JayDC

Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:28 am

thanks man.. i agree, for what i want to do these machines seem like a better candidate.. the patter is smaller than the presto, but a 14" disc will fit.. I'm going to have to design a head mounting system for a caruso, but it shouldn't be that difficult.. the chain drive makes it easy to add the technics motor, but originally these machine where driven via an idler wheel.. the chain is used to connect the platter shaft to the overhead.. but i plan on using the chain to connect the new motor and adding a groove pitch computer to drive the overhead..
generally its for reproduction.. but i like to play wif it sometimes.. :P