Experience with Lenco L75 ?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

KALIA

Experience with Lenco L75 ?

Sat May 11, 2013 7:23 pm

Has anyone ever cut a rec on a Lenco l75?

How is it- Compared to a sp10 for example..?

Can you cut a deep groove without pitch probems. Or is there any special motor mod needed...

thank you..

-

EmAtChapterV

Re: Experience with Lenco L75 ?

Sun May 12, 2013 2:39 pm

I have a Lenco, if not an L75, one almost identical to it - continuously variable speed from 14 to 90 rpm. I can't see it working as a cutting table at all - the idler wheel is a tiny little pizza-cutter held up by a light spring. Any sort of drag on the turntable beyond a regular playback stylus will slow things down and make the idler will kick and buck against the bottom of the platter. It's rumbly too, even with a fresh idler.

I suppose you could modify it into a belt-drive table if you were really determined, it does have the very heavy platter going for it compared to a Technics deck.

pentlandsound

Re: Experience with Lenco L75 ?

Wed May 15, 2013 8:05 am

I'm using a Leak Delta turntable, which is effectively an L75 with a different decal on the top. My lathe is a home-made one, driven by a leadscrew controlled by a stepper motor and thus independent of the turntable speed. I'm working to a tight budget and so decided to go down the indenting / embossing route, using 1mm polycarbonate sheets as my recording medium.

As Em above notes, the torque of the Leak / L75 is rather weak for disc recording: in order to end up with a disc that sounds more or less correct, I have to set the speed slide control a little above the correct value to compensate for the drag caused by the weight of the indenting point (c.150g). As recording progresses, the turntable speeds slightly as the indenting point nears the centre and the moment about the centre pin reduces.

This limits the L75, in my experience, to records no more than about 21cm in diameter. For records this size and below, the speed creep on playback is almost imperceptible (unless you play an instrument along with the record!); for records of LP size, the change becomes very noticeable.

Still saving my farthings, groats and bawbees for a good, direct-drive TT.

David