Neumann Extender Cable

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

Neumann Extender Cable

Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:54 pm

I'm gearing up to start making some new cards for Neumann users. I'm going to produce a new tape remote start card for those who can't get one and want to use my lathe automation for staring and stopping their DAW automatically.

I'm also going to produce a new monitor section for the amp rack. Higher quality lower noise op amps. Buzzless phono preamp. Button switching instead of a rotary knob. Plus remote control for changing monitoring from the lathe.

In the process I needed to make an extender cable. I first tracked down the connectors. I then made this cable and tested it with my tape remote start card. I'm using it to figure out why the stop impulse on my lathe is no longer functioning.

With this cable I can troubleshoot a card while it is external to the lathe/rack and still functioning. Also, with these connectors, I can fabricate a replacement for any card. I'll be making a fancier version with a circuit board on the female end with pins on each line that you can clip on to for monitoring or injecting signal. Will also include jumpers for disconnecting or wiring something in serial (like an ammeter). If anyone is interested, I'll be selling the final version of the cable on my site.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Serif

Re: Neumann Extender Cable

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:33 pm

I had a similar issue on the new LS-76 where the tt wouldn't stop even when the pushbutton was unlit. I had noticed this mode of misbehavior once before while working on the older LS-76 tt servo drive board. There's an op amp, 5534, which can function for other signaling, even if one of its legs is maimed. That leg was the input for the stop tt function. So, when I replaced that single (thankfully-socketed) 8-pin chip, after powering the lathe back on, the tt remained motionless until I pressed and illuminated the pushbutton. Hopefully, your lathe's non-stop behavior hinges only on on leg of one chip. Hard to troubleshoot one leg, though, without something like a Heathkit or the super nice Chip Master and Linear Master testers by ABI. Learned about these tools from fellow-LSer, THD. Diode checking each leg can show issues.

- Serif

opcode66

Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:38 am

Deep Grooves Mastering
Neumann Extender Cable v2

We have improved this cable by adding a board in-between the connectors. The board has a strip of female pin headers. You can easily probe any pole on the connector. The perf board used has printed numbers for each pole of the connector. No mistakes probing the wrong pins. Easily probe into any or all of them at once. Finally, we added shrink wrap to all poles on the connector to insure no accidental shorts.

Deep Grooves Mastering can custom fabricate a similar cable for you upon request. We are also making 30 Pin Tuchel probing and impulsing cables as well. Pictures to come soon.

Note: Slack was intentionally left in the black connective wires for Version 3. We will be adding two strips of male pin headers. The male pin pairs will be connected via plastic jumpers you might find on a motherboard. This will allow you to disconnect any pair for measuring current. Or, for disconnecting impulses from the lathe. Or, for injecting your own impulses into the lathe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

opcode66

Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:54 pm

Pictures of the 30 Pin Tuchel extender cable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.