Laserprinting record jackets

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Curley-Ann

Laserprinting record jackets

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:08 pm

I really hope someone here can help out...
Recently, we debuted Essency Records...our 1st issue is ready for distribution right now. We had our record jackets printed at a place that can only do a screenprint process--which means a basic black & white, and any photographs used are reproduced in the old "pin-point dot" system, the same as newsprint uses...the result is sometimes distorted and faded print, etc.
Does ANYONE here on the forum know where we can have our NEXT project accomplished with a laserprint process onto 12-inch cardboard jackets (smooth surface), and where the photos come out recognizable?
We would only need 200 of them printed at a time. (This last project, we would have had jackets printed elsewhere, but it was at a 500-piece minimum, and we don't need that many! It would be a waste of both money and resource material!)
Any help anyone here on the forum can offer will be considered. Otherwise--we'll have no choice but to utilize the place we've used already and just NOT go with actual photos for our covers, but penned artwork instead (THAT part of the jacket came out well!)

piaptk

Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:15 am

I can't imagine that 200 silkscreened jackets were much cheaper than 500 printed jackets...

These guys will do 500 for $475.

You can always do this:

Wait until you have two, 200 run LPs in the works, put the artwork for one on one side, and the artowrk for the other on the otherside (upside down), and then print out the backside artwork (tracklist) on 11x17" paper at Office Max and cut it to 11x11 (use their guillotine cutter) and glue it over the other albums artwork.

OR

You could buy blank covers (http://doradopkg.com) and print out 11x17" color copies (look around for a cheap place) and glue them like the old-school tip-on albums. Especially since you guys seem to be into the vintage stuff, this might be a good fit.

Curley-Ann

Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:42 am

Yeah...we had thought about the "cut and glue" option...but I'm at the age now where my hands aren't the most steady...and it is basically a one-person operation by the time all the material comes back here to me!
So...this is why I would need something good--but simple.
Perhaps the size of the photo we used for our 1st issue may have a lot to do with the distorted image that resulted.
Would using a larger picture on the cover work better and be in a better resolution (using the screenprinting process) than a smaller one?