Anyone a manual press expert???

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

piaptk

Anyone a manual press expert???

Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:54 pm

The pressing plant I use has a manual press and has been down for about a week. I talked to him this morning and he said he is DESPERATE for someone who knows how to work on these things. He will buy you a plane ticket, pay you for your time, etc if you think you can help. He is located in KY. If you think you can help, send me your info and I'll pass it along.

mossboss

Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:54 pm

Is this machine broken down mate? or the man is looking for an operator If it is broken down tell me please If it Is o Finebilt and Alpha or another brand like a Hamilton Also can you tell me if the hydraulics are Vickers or Racine
Cheers
Chris

piaptk

Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:54 pm

Its broken down. I believe it is a Finebilt. I'll PM you his contact info. Thanks Chris!

jhdave

Re: Anyone a manual press expert???

Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:23 pm

piaptk wrote:The pressing plant I use has a manual press and has been down for about a week. I talked to him this morning and he said he is DESPERATE for someone who knows how to work on these things. He will buy you a plane ticket, pay you for your time, etc if you think you can help. He is located in KY. If you think you can help, send me your info and I'll pass it along.
Oh yeah, I know exactly who you are talking about. I also think it's a finebilt, from seeing pictures of it. That's a shame about the press.

Hope everything works out for him, and he's up and running in no time!

piaptk

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:29 pm

It's apparently a problem in the hydraulics. He talked to Mossboss and some other press dudes for a while and got it up and running for a little while anyway. Then it started acting up again. He's looking for someone locally who is good with hydraulics now.

mossboss

Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:16 pm

He Mike man
He needs to know if he has Racine or Vicker's gear in there
I did ask him but he did not know
In both cases they are dear as poison
Assuming it is vickers I can help him out with bits as I think I know what his issue may be
As a first step I would check the lock valve which would be a webster unit most likely an LV 1200 lock valve that holds the high pressure
Than i would check the decompression rate valve on the main ram
Cannot see any thing else that would cause this as they are a simple enough machine with only two major components that really are not that rare
Any way Pass this on and he can certainly call me if he wishes
He does not need an expert at all mate there is 2 components to check and he may even be able to adjust the lock valve
Unless he has a leaking seal which again is no big deal to replace
The only other thing I would check is the flap valve on the suction tube of the main ram so as to make sure that it seals up when the high pressure comes on
Cheers
Cheers
Chris