New Troll w/ Old Machine

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

malarchy

New Troll w/ Old Machine

Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:02 am

Greetings,

My name is Aaron, and
this being my first post on the site, I thought I'd give a brief synopsis of my projects, set-up, etc.

I have owned an ROK Challenger for about 10 years and have cut 78s only because of the sapphires I have, and the microgroover I don't have.

Now, I've recently committed to having all the electronics, rubber parts, microgroove head, and any re-machining done on it to bring it up to factory "new". It will be ready by Christmas or so, since I am assisting my AV electronics repair wizard as I want to know the ins and outs myself, quite well.

Once that is done, I will continue into the hot-rod phase whereby a new head and amp will be applied as well as a DC cutting head heater and swarf vac. This will be done as soon as the parts are chosen, then procured.

Many things I'd love to ask y'all about;
First off, I'd love any opinions and feedback on different amp/cutting head set-ups that could be applied to the Challenger, and which ones you think are the best, eg: Grampian/Gotham.

piaptk

Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:39 pm

You should be able to use the same head to cut Microgroove as, just need a 1mil stylus.

I don't know much about the Challenger other than what I saw in a google picture, but it has one of the heads that lays flat, right? Rather than being upright? I know they make a Grampian like that, and it seems like Gotham and Grampian is the mono combo a lot of people prefer.

Good Luck!

opcode66

Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:10 pm

When you are ready for a heating wire I can make you a variable current box if you need one. Adjustable between 0 and 1 amp. Constant voltage. With meter and on/off switch.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio