any advice for an interested student?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

tragwag

any advice for an interested student?

Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:44 am

hey trolls,
I'm a senior in the Sound Recording Technology department at Umass Lowell. As of late I've been very interested in mastering and specifically cutting lacquers. I asked the department about taking a directed study in cutting, though no one was up to it, and the condition of our equipment is questionable.
As a requirement for graduation, we have to do an internship of about 20 hrs a week for a semester. (i'll be doing it for the summer semester, summer 2012)
I was curious if anyone had gotten their start in an internship type position either at a mastering facility, pressing plant or other location. The internship requires a specific location to be picked (New England, Midwest, etc) and a number of locations for each.
I originally looked into pressing plants, thinking that I could do some grunt work while learning to cut masters after hours. Upon looking more into independent lacquer mastering facilities, there seems to be more opportunity than I had previously thought.
Any insight into a good geographic area, facilities that are open to interns or volunteers would be super helpful.
Thanks!
-Tyler
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

gold

Re: any advice for an interested student?

Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:48 pm

tragwag wrote:and the condition of our equipment is questionable.
I have no suggestions for an internship but the above seems like a golden opportunity. Research the equipment you have. It sounds like no one much cares about it. Try to make it work. You will learn much more than you will get out of an internship.

dietrich10

Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:42 pm

I'd try fellow ULowell graduate Bob Weston at Chicago Mastering.
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

piaptk

Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:06 am

dietrich10 wrote:I'd try fellow ULowell graduate Bob Weston at Chicago Mastering.
One of my heroes. Dude has recorded some AMAZING records.

tragwag

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:53 pm

thanks for your help guys!
i will definitely contact bob.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com