Harmonized code for shipping lacquers internationally

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

cohearent

Harmonized code for shipping lacquers internationally

Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:41 pm

Hi Fellow Trolls,

Since I spent 2 hours trying to find this info, I thought I'd share it with everybody and hopefully save you some time if you ever need it.

If you ship lacquer masters out of your country the customs form requires a "Harmonized Code" for the item.

The correct terminology is:

Phonograph Record Masters for manufacturing for export

and the "magic code" is:

Best,

Kev
Kevin Gray

Steve E.
Site Admin

Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:53 pm

I have no need of doing that yet, personally, but thank you just the same! I'm sure others will benefit.

humongous

Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:56 am

Thank you so much. I thought I had good info to ship master lacquers to Holland, and it was help up at customs for a couple of weeks. I was sweating it. great info.
Jeff Powell
drybonz at aol dot com

Aussie0zborn

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:38 am

Is this a universal code or American only?

dietrich10

Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:23 am

I ship cut lacquers from US to Europe/UK every week.

Best way is to include an invoice made out to the receiver for 10$ or so. three copies in a pouch. make sure on invoice says 'made in usa'.
This usually does the trick. List item as 'record laquers for production'.
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

cohearent

Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:26 pm

Hi Aussie,

Fair question. It might be for US only, not sure....it came from The United States International Trade Commission. So is it US or International? (They should make up their minds) :wink: Also if it is for export, why would the U.S. care? I would think it would only matter to customs where it is received. Don't know...

Dietrich,

Not sure how you are shipping, but FEDEX will not ship WITHOUT this code and the wording I used...it goes with the code. Lacquer sounds like painting supplies. I was also told if they are shipping to a pressing plant to not put ANY price, only a value as the shipper may be liable for taxes and it can hold them up in customs at the other end...hence the wording "for manufacturing for export".

Best,

Kev
Kevin Gray

dietrich10

Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:57 pm

hi kevin

good to know for Fedex. I ship UPS usually now and yes I have had plants in EU refuse to pay the $20 duty due....which is a fun issue to deal with.

D
cutting lacquers-vms70 system