Securing a Presto 45 adapter?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

piaptk

Securing a Presto 45 adapter?

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:05 pm

My 45 adapter used to stay in place just because it was tight, but over a year of use it has loosened up to the point that it rides up and starts dragging on the bottom of the platter and slicing up my puck. How do you get this thing to stay down? Do I have to drill a hole in the motor shaft and screw it in? what kind of screw should I use? Does my drill have to make threads in the shaft? I have no experience with metal work.

monkey1553

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:17 pm

My 6n already had threads and a screw tapped into the shaft. I was under the assumption that this wasn't a mod by the previous owner but perhaps it was. Either way mine stays put. Let me know if a pic would help at all.

-Michael

markrob

Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi,

I have a picture of one that I grabbed off of an ebay auction some time ago. This unit had a set screw near the bottom. If this is the case with your adaptor, maybe its loose.

Mark

piaptk

Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:06 pm

That was probably standard on later era 6ns, which were produced after the 45 was introduced, but mine predates 45s. Got this email back from Kim Gutzke:
first - clean shaft and inner sleeve using lacquer thnner or gas or solvent

make sure no oils have gotten onto shaft

try that

if no good - try one of these

add a real thin metal shim - like a piece of aluminum foil - whatever

or add a dab of elmers white glue - which should allow easy removal

or try some Scotch brand restickable adhesive glue stick (purcased at officemax - etc.) - see attachment

the idea is to add just enough to keep brass sleeve in place - but not too much where it makes it difficult to remove

another thing that might work -- spray or simply dab shaft with light coating of clear lacquer.  That will make it stick when dry -- and when removing add heat from blower or something to melt the lacquer