end of cd format by major labels by 2012!

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

2-sevens

end of cd format by major labels by 2012!

Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:18 am

http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=46980_0_2_0_C

Rejoice! no more perfect sound forever.

studiorp

Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:17 am

Finally, I hate cd format !!!

Serif

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:11 am

The only value I need added to CD is musical quality. I don't want apps or links or even movies. The problem with most CDs is that the music's just no good. But it's a handy and robust carrier of uncompressed LPCM - nearly as good as the dodo-like DVD-A. Bob Ludwig's 1990 D|D|D premastering of Pat Metheny's Question and Answer, recorded at the Power Station, remains one of my favorites in the CD medium.

There are certainly bad CD remasters, but converters are much better now. And there are also bad lp remasters. I just accidentally bought Kansas's Point of Know Return on lp. Thought it would be a dulcet blast from the past, but instead, it ended up being an "audiophile" version that was remastered at half-speed in 1980 by Vlado Mellor, and it was transferred using a 1980! digital to analog converter on the program. Cold and sudden. Kind of like what's wrong with mp3.

Recordings that haven't been galvanized are "unfinished" work.
Download this!

- P. Q. "Ben" Sciss

studiorp

Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:53 am

No, friend, sorry but for me tapes and vinyl discs are the better formats !, no other. especially vinyl.
I have about 200, 300 cd and some of these recorded 4 or less years ago start already deteriorate the support. With vinyl would never happen this thing !
Cheers.

2-sevens

Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:24 am

studiorp wrote:No, friend, sorry but for me tapes and vinyl discs are the better formats !, no other. especially vinyl.
I have about 200, 300 cd and some of these recorded 4 or less years ago start already deteriorate the support. With vinyl would never happen this thing !
Cheers.
I was mocking how cds were marketed in there infancy. I agree with you that tape and especially vinyl is the best format. We are all here to make sure analog recording methods remain a part of our culture in the future. Long live Lathe trolls.

Serif

Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:23 pm

studiorp wrote:No, friend, sorry but for me tapes and vinyl discs are the better formats !, no other. especially vinyl.
Cheers.

With a CD, you can make a back-up clone as a safety. One clone of course has the same SNR as the other. "With vinyl would never happen this thing!" (;

Salut,
- Stylus Wigglesworth

Serif

Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:32 pm

2-sevens wrote:We are all here to make sure analog recording methods remain a part of our culture in the future. Long live Lathe trolls.
Terrence McKenna reminds us that "culture is not [one's] friend." :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYB0VW5x8fI

Be advised that many cutters, here, use CD playback, or its equivalent, as program signal to the lacquer channel. Tape can sound good, but also is not a remarkably stable time reference. The digitally-de-fluttered output from Plangent Processes is illuminating in this respect.

- Chip Swarf

gold

Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:20 pm

Time to get a storage space for the abandoned presses. Just like vinyl it's death will be highly over rated. With free presses and non corporate profit margins it will be a good business.

Phinster

Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:58 am

dont hold yer breath... 8)

gold

Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:09 am

I like when others think I'm daft. It's a distinct advantage.

opcode66

Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:38 pm

In this economy I fear any "abondoned" cd pressing gear will either be sold to the highest bidder, repuposed somehow or cut down and sold for scrap metal. By no means does this signal the end of the CD format in general as a means of storing music or data. There will still be a market for blank cd's and thus still a need for cd presses. Regardless of the decision by the music labels to stop using the format.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

mossboss

Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:55 pm

Hey guys
I would not be holding my breath either
If you draw a parallel with vinyl it would be the same story
30 odd years later we are still here
What has taken place in the CD game its really simple
It is tech based as well as that due to the qty's involved the speed of these presses went for a very respectable 5 shots a minute to something like 25-30 a minute
So if you did not keep up with these advances you where out of the game
Since this technology was available to every one they have got to the stage that the only real margin they could have was the cost of raw material
One manufacturer buys a tonne a month another a tonne a day who do you think would stay in the game?
Any way the presses would be directed towards Blue ray given that the owners will want to stay in the game by acquiring new laser mastering gear as everything else in a CD plant is really usable
On another note there would always be demand for indie bands as well as other smaller outfits wishing to carry on so i do not see this as the death of CD just a repositioning
The writting was on the wall about a year or two ago when music publishers started using huge servers as well as on line down loads for whatever they had on their catalogues So you did not have to be an einstein to see that coming
With the I revolution as well as all these other formats we already have a generation of people who's appreciation of Hi FI would take some doing in getting them to change
Convinience takes first place here guys so we are still in the past if you ask these people
The better format debate has been going on for decades so we just leave it at that
This is a well flogged arguement with quite a number number of people in a various camps
All I can see is a collection of smaller CD plants catering for smaller qty's to a larger user base Just like Vinyl The nimble will survive The corporate owned plants will go
For Sure
Cheers
Chris

andybee

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:01 am

looking for a toolex cd press line....

pleas PM me!

:lol:

gold

Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:49 am

mossboss wrote: All I can see is a collection of smaller CD plants catering for smaller qty's to a larger user base Just like Vinyl The nimble will survive The corporate owned plants will go
For Sure
Right, that was my point. I also didn't mean there would be free presses for everyone. Paying pennies on the dollar for older slower presses is not out of the question if you keep your ear to the ground.

concretecowboy71

Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:38 pm

Being a guy that has driven beater cars forever, as long as there are cars with CD players on the road, there will be a demand for CDs.

Seeing as record companies still sell MILLIONS of CDs every year, I think the death of the CD is a little premature.

Record companies have to retool their whole business model in the download age and we all know that giant companies are slow to move away from their old ways of thinking. Direct download is great for them. It changes their whole distribution network and makes it cheaper.

But I also feel that a lot of consumers want a tangible product in their hands when they "buy" something....that is one of the reasons vinyl is popular right now. Bundling download codes with a real product gave consumers the best of both worlds and was brilliant.

I say the CD will be around at least another 10 years.
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

mossboss

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:31 pm

Andy B
Last time that I looked at a Toolex CD line it was around the $12 K at 800 pieces an hour
When a complete CD Digi Pack with full colour printing insert Jewel case or whatever replicated not duplicated lands on your doorstep at less than $1 each ex Tawain or China would you bother?
MPO in France just installed a complete Singulus Blue Ray line at some 35 Odd Million Euros
Go for it Andy Not me I wont
Cheers
Chris