Souri is sick, or at least incommunicado

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

piaptk

Souri is sick, or at least incommunicado

Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:23 pm

I randomly ran into John and Keenan from single piece slate at ikea today. Apparently Souri is sick and they haven't talked to him in over 6 months. They were in contact with his brother for a while, but he hasn't returned email or phone calls in 4 months. So right now they have a $5000 boat anchor of a recOrd lathe since they can't get needles for it. Has anyone ever been able to convert one if his heads to use other needles?

flozki

Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:39 pm

hello
yes i once converted a head to use standard neumann and vinylike stylii

souri started to use same cone. but i am not sure if he had exactly same cones as neumann.
but i have the tool to make the exact 1:20 cone...
so try it out and if it does not fit you can send in the head and i can convert...

f.

and the diamond from vinylike.com are excelent now....

f.

aaron

Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:47 pm

That's funny, I was emailing him back and forth just last week with questions about the vinylrecorder. He was replying within 1-2 days... one of his assurances was that needles are always available. He was even talking about importing a bunch of machines to the USA and selling them for a flat rate.

Interesting.

piaptk

Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:30 pm

That's good to know. I wil pass that on to John and Keenan and have them try again.

fraggle

Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:31 am

oh man.....