Please help identify Presto 8D-G

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

B_Sides

Please help identify Presto 8D-G

Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:40 am

I recently purchased what I believe to be a Presto 8D-G with a Presto 1-D cutter head and no electronics, from an estate sale. It took some doing but I’m glad I saved it from an uncertain fate.

I’m surmising it’s an 8D-G because of the documents included and the two horizontally mounted motors and shaft drive. What confuses me is a 3rd vertically mounted motor which drives the rim or the clutch/flywheel inside the cabinet. I’m not sure if this was an add on and what its purpose is or if this is a different model all together.

Unfortunately I don’t know the first thing about record cutting so I’ll be finding a new home for this monster soon.

Many thanks,

B_Sides
Detroit, Mi
Tmerc12 at hotmail

Prestofan

Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:53 pm

The third motor was a conversion kit for 3rd speed. It will be 45 if the main gear motors are 33 1/3 and 78, or if the gear motors are 33 1/3 and 45, the addon will be for 78. You can find out more by going to my Presto History page, http://www.prestohistory.com/.

Alan Graves

Prestofan

Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:55 pm

Sorry, that URL didn't get you there. Google Presto History. By the way that is a great find, good lathe.

B_Sides

PRESTO 8D-G

Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:13 am

Alan,

Many thanks for the excellent reply and thanks for doing the great Presto website!!!

best wishes,

tom