180 lpi feedscrew for Presto 6N without microgroove equip

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

prestogirl

180 lpi feedscrew for Presto 6N without microgroove equip

Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:12 pm

hi, is a Presto 6N able to work with a 180lpi feedscrew? there is NO microgroove equipment.

manual only refers to feedscrews of 96, 112, 120 and 136lpi (standard) - a feedsrew of 224lpi requires a special microgroove setup. I know the standard feedfinger-blade is thicker than the microgroove part, so in the end the winding of 180lpi might be too narrow for the standard version.

the reason I'm asking is that I'm looking for a setup that makes more than 4min per 7". I don't know the mathematical relationship between lpi and cutting time, so I can't imageine the (time-) differences between the different feedscrews ... (apart from soundquality and loudness)

... someone asked me to cut 8.22 min on a 7" - can't imagine that this is possible with a Presto 6N

pg

piaptk

Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:10 am

I use a 180 lpi feedscrew (and a 224) all the time with my 6n, which is, as far as I know, not modified, and it works fine. I think they were originally made before microgroove, and there may have been accessories made to make them work BETTER with microgroove feedscrews, but I don't think they are necessary. I think Alan Graves recommended using exacto-knife blades to replace the blade that runs in the feedscrew if you need to.

8 min would be possible on a 7" only if you had a 224 and cut further in than most Presto feedscrews go. They weren't meant for 45, so you have to hang the head further to the left than usual. I use a piece of aluminum with two holes drilled so that I can move the hole head a half inch closer to the flange. it allows you to attach the head to the fork without sticking the screws inside the fork. It allows you to cut further than most automatic turntables can play. I can cut all the way up to the edge of the flange if I want (assuming the stylus isnt pushed all the way in before it's tightened).

prestogirl

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:50 am

piaptk wrote:I use a 180 lpi feedscrew (and a 224) all the time with my 6n, which is, as far as I know, not modified, and it works fine. I think they were originally made before microgroove, and there may have been accessories made to make them work BETTER with microgroove feedscrews, but I don't think they are necessary. I think Alan Graves recommended using exacto-knife blades to replace the blade that runs in the feedscrew if you need to.
sounds good! I think you have to modify the exacto-knife blade a bit ... ? and, would a 260lpi feedscrew work with this ?
piaptk wrote:8 min would be possible on a 7" only if you had a 224 and cut further in than most Presto feedscrews go. They weren't meant for 45, so you have to hang the head further to the left than usual. I use a piece of aluminum with two holes drilled ...
this is great! which cutterhead do you use? hope this will work with my grampian too ...

thanks a lot!
pg

piaptk

Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:06 am

You would definitely have to modify the blade for sure.

I actually don't know if it would work for a grampian, because they use the shorter stlyi... maybe you could modify it...