Microscope

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

aaron

Microscope

Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:56 am

Does anyone have any recommendations for a microscope for close-up views of record grooves? I'd like USB, but it wouldn't have to be I suppose. I'm working on a DIY cutterhead, and I'd like to be able to look at what I've cut for measuring groove depth and proper geometry.

Aussie0zborn

Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:18 pm

I bought a little USB camera off Ebay but the resolution is not useable.

aaron

Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:45 pm

I'm kind of in the same boat... I have a Vitiny UM02 (which I'm going to return) but only has 200x... which isn't even close to enough.

piaptk

Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:54 pm

Yeah, I think you'll have to get an old Spencer groove scope. I have a Spencer scope I'd probably sell. It's good for looking at grooves, but doesn't have the measurement eye piece, just a clear eyepiece. So you can't tell exactly how many micrometers the groove width is, but you can get a good view of the grooves.

Serif

Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:28 pm

I thought I read that 150x was typical for record lathe microscopy. I don't know for sure what power mine is, but it's a 1.5x Nikon with a 10x eyepiece and has two objectives - one which reads M5 and another which reads M10. I think that means net 75x and 150x for the whole shebang. The larger magnification is way zoomed in, but not like the electron microscope pix online. I found a dead fly on the window sill of the office and took it back to the cutting room the other day to see how (dead) it looked up close. Those compound eyes were hard to focus on - all 3D like. And the filigreed wings are fearfully wrought - by someone. JRF uses a 600x microscope, but Mr. French is looking for ultraminutia, there, not just the head gap.

Also, I found out that my tape measure just aint gonna work for counting grooves, since even the lightest touch of metal is going to scratch the lacquer. I was happy to find a 23mm eyepiece with reticule on eBay from microscopesind (in beautiful and romantic India).

- Gib Levleur