pre-warming dubbs!

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

emidisc

pre-warming dubbs!

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:13 am

Trolls how long do you pre-warm your dubbs before cutting ie with 100watt bulb & how close do you position it from disc.
many thanks
emidisc

piaptk

Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:47 pm

Also, do aluminum core dubs warp in prolonged heat?

I am thinking about using one when I am cutting picnic plates to avoid having to reset up my whole lathe everytime I go from a thick substrate to a super thin one.

I cut for hours at a time when in picnic plate mode, and use a heat lamp. Tried a regular LP once, and doubt anyone would be shocked at the fact that the edges curled up like a baby to it's mother bosom.

opcode66

Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:39 pm

I use a heat gun to measure the temperture of the disc prior to cutting to inusre that it is at the proper temperature. I find that if I can get it to around 92 degrees across the entire surface then it is good to go.

With respect to lacquers, the covering is heat sensitive. In fact, it is extremely flamable! Be careful brother!
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio