Lacquer Boxes

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

Lacquer Boxes

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:00 pm

Does anyone have suggestions for cheaper lacquer boxes than those available via Apollo?

I'm almost considering trying some pizza style boxes. Just getting tired of paying so much for an empty 14" lacquer box...

Suggestions would be more than appreciated!
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

mossboss

Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:12 pm

Pizza cartons work great
Get a hard piece of cardboard on the bottom or Masonite drill a hole to take a 1/4 screw Use a couple of the separators you get with the lacquers on top of a steel washer screw it down tight with a nut
Place another steel washer and some more plastic washers ex lacquers
Drop lacquer in there some more plastic washers
Place second lacquer than another steel washer screw them down tight
Of course the 2 lacquers are face to face separated by plastic washers
You should have plenty of those
Another piece of cardboard with a hole a steel washer and a nut tighten down
Than a bit of bubble wrap lid tape real good Done
Do it all the time never a hassle yet
Cheers
Chris

dietrich10

Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:08 pm

Ive used 14x14x3 or 14x14x4 heavy duty boxes for years
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

opcode66

Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:47 pm

Thanks guys!
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

concretecowboy71

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:13 pm

U-Line has a whole variety of boxes that might work for you.

That is where I get mine.

I make sure everything is bolted and spaced together nicely and have had no problems so far.

BTW -- if you can get the punch outs from a pressing plant when they cut the hole out of a 7", those make great spacers.

http://www.uline.com/Cls_04/Boxes-Corrugated
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

cohearent

yes on U-line, no on 7" punch out spacers

Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:02 am

Hi Guys,

I have been using the U-line 15X15X4 boxes for a year now with no problems.
I use 1 1/4" flat steel washers on both sides of the bottom with a 1/4" bolt through, and nut tightened as tight as I can get it.
I'll get to spacers in a moment.
I use a wing nut to tighten down the top spacer on the lacquers and then put a piece of filament tape over the top of the bolt and wing nut and squeeze the two sides together to keep the wing nut from coming unfastened. I have tried several methods and this seem to be the most foolproof. Double nutting does not insure that they will not come undone in shipping. Trust me on this one! You can ship 8 lacquers in a box this way, but safer to keep it to 6.
I DO NOT recommend punch outs from 7" for spacers for several reasons, not the least being that none of the major label pressing plants in the US would accept them by the late 70s.
The problem is that they are too small, not flat, too thin, and you can't torque a stack of them down tight enough, mostly because they are so uneven.
Spacers should be 2" to 3" dia., at least 1/8' thick, and preferably fiber. Foam, and many plastics are too compressible or brittle. I have several plants return them to me. When somebody finds a new source, or has a run made, PLEASE let us know!

Best,

Kev
Kevin Gray