Howdy! New here!

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

MBL

Howdy! New here!

Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:37 pm

Howdy All! My name is Tim. I am into quite a few vintage things. I spend a bunch of time working on guitar amps and hot rods. I have a rockabilly band in Tampa FLA. At any rate, we had been thinking of pressing some records, then I came across this "overhead mechanism" for what I believe is a Presto 6N lathe. I don't think it is complete, because it is missing the cutting head, and probably some more parts.

I know this is quite backwards, but I think it would be neat to find the rest of a Presto 6N to mate up with it. It is kinda like building a car around a cool hubcap you found at the swap meet. Just the same, I'd like to give it a go.

I have seen where I could get a 1-C or 1-D cutting head for about 200-300? or there abouts...the turntable itself would likely be more I am sure, but I think I have found just the place for the help I need.

I like many of you will probably try and obtain a collection of these fun machines, but really I'd like to get one going first.

So thanks for any help you can provide! I will be most greatful for any suggestions you may have.
Thanks
Tim
MBL

mossboss

Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:04 pm

Welcome aboard No doubt you will get all the help you would ever need that's for sure
It will take a little while if you easy on the money Or very fast if there is an abundance of it Ha Ha
Cheers
Chris